litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Smash!

KurtB

Really sorry to see this, absolutely gutted for you Kurt, it sounds like there’s a positive way forward with Option 1 though.

Just think of all the shiny new perfect paint you’ll have, every cloud....

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The full brunt is coming now, I'm absolutely gutted, but thanks to this thread feeling like there's light at the end of the tunnel. I'm so inexperienced with these things (mercifully), I'm not sure how to play it. 

So, I called my insurance immediately (REIS) but in the stress of it all just kept pressing options. Got through to a human, and given their claims hotline number, who were totally cold cos they aren't open on Saturday. Got the car recovered, via AA through our bank account. Since then, nothing, but now it's at home, I've taken video and stills of the damage, and removed the rear wheel to assess the toe link. Luckily it's just the outer bolt that's sheared, the shims have gone, and there's a little rubbing to the chassis from the tyre. A known list of damage stands at:

1. Pax door skin, trailing edge, latch/lock mechanism mounting holes (stress cracking). Window stiff to wind up/down.

2. Nearside sill, punctures just before rear clam join.

3. Rear clam leading edge to rear nearside wheel arch. Broken at mounting points in wheel well, and at under tray mounts. Rear arch liner split.

4. Rear Spitfire toe link bolt (did it's job and cost pence). 

5. Rear nearside wheel, scuffed/chipped.

@ndy, I may need some new rim stickers! If Option One repaired THAT much damage on your car, I'm impressed! 

So do I call Option One on Monday? Do I call their insurance AND mine? Please help guide me, I just want my car to be right. 

Thanks again guys, it really means a lot. 

Kurt

8 hours ago, DeanB said:

What did the other driver say?

I expect you had to restrain yourself

Dean,

No apportioning of blame or guilt was done. I yelled expletives while the car pirouetted around me, steered into it, and may have mentioned faeces a few times before I got out of my car. Upon walking up to the other car, I asked if the driver (young lad) and his mum (front seat pax) and rear seat pax (female) were OK, I was dead calm. A witness stopped (lady in her late 50's I'd say) and offered support. I think they all thought I'd be raging, but was utterly ambivalent about the whole experience, no point crying over spilled milk etc. 

Oh FFS Kurt!

At least you are OK and looking at the car it looks a pretty straightforward repair. Fibreglass damage can look really bad when compared to metal but it's amazing what can be done by people with the right skills. Yours doesn't look too bad really, but I feel your pain.

You need to let your insurance company know ASAP. Can't understand why a claims line is closed at the weekend, accidents don't only happen Mon-Fri! You can also choose whoever you want to repair it, if they recommend a place to you, you don't have to use it.

Kurt to give you an idea why Option one have such a good rep they don't use filler on fibreglass - they only use fibreglass to fill - because filler always fails eventually, apparently. Even though filler would be easier.

Kurt,

No problems with the rim stickers, artwork is done so it's just a matter of getting them cut in the machine etc.... Can you remind me of the colour ? Send me a close up if you can.

Regarding Option 1, Once I logged the claim with my insurance I informed them I wanted to use Option 1 due to their speciality with fibreglass repairs, I then passed my claim details to Frank  (Option 1) who then sent on the quote and pestered them for the authorisation to commence the work, I think I had to make one call to my insurance company to push the authorisation on the advise of Frank, All in I think I had the car back within 3 weeks from the accident.

Sorry to see this Kurt but you’ll get it back looking shinier than ever.  And no one is hurt.  Brace yourself for a battle of blame over who ran into who, unless you have a witness I suspect it will go 50/50, your word against yours.  I know it’s not something you’ll want to hear right now but better to be ready for it.   Insurance companies are legalised criminals, their insurance will try to get out of paying.  One reason I run dash cams in all my cars.  But bottom line, one of the insurance companies will have to pay up, Option 1 sound fantastic so you should have it back looking better than ever in no time.  

Really sorry to read this Kurt. Well done for holding your temper. 

Not going to go against some many others' recommendation of Option 1, though I had my Elise repaired up in Louth and was really pleased with the work. All fibreglass damage. As others have suggested, a good repairer will deal with the insurance company/assessor visits. My repairer tried to get a new clam but that wasn't happening, nor was a full respray. (I ended up paying the difference as to be fair, it was something I had already considered.) I can't remember who was insuring me at the time, but I had to refuse their insistence on using another repairer. 

Despite the hassle and costs (my car was parked, the other vehicle drove off- no details), I had an immaculate car to enjoy after it all.

Kurt

sorry to see this, good news is no-one was hurt.  Mine got damaged a couple years back after only having for a few months and it is gutting. You just have to go through the motions and get it fixed and make sure you are happy with the repairs then it will all be a distant memory.

good luck.

paul

Sorry to see this Kurt. 

I hope the witness was on your side as it's very common for the other driver to say you drove into them as you were speeding / driving wrecklessly.  Having a Lotus counts against you.

Hope it all works out for you and the car is back to pristine condition soon.

A real shame Kurt, but at least all involved are ok.

I would recommend Edmonds Auto Refinishing near Swadlincote for body work. I had my previous S2 Exige sprayed there. I think a few others on here have also used them. 

1 hour ago, AlanS1 said:

A real shame Kurt, but at least all involved are ok.

I would recommend Edmonds Auto Refinishing near Swadlincote for body work. I had my previous S2 Exige sprayed there. I think a few others on here have also used them. 

These are the guys that are going to do my Stratos.

Archived