litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Twin Fan Set up - Help

MrWill

Hello Folks

I'm having a new alloy radiator fitted with twin fans.  I've just noticed the new fans each have two bare bullet connectors.  I have no idea what the existing wiring is set up for.  Is there a spare connector for more powerful models? OR When the original single fan plastic radiator is taken out is there some extra wiring work to do?  What do i need to buy / do to connect the two fans into the standard K series S2 wiring loom?

Help and advice as to what I need and how to do it will be much appreciated - I have a week to source any required bits and pieces before the work begins.

Cheers

MrWill   

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello MrWill

I think you'll find the garage will tell you that the standard S2 wiring loom is only set up for the single fan - i.e. there's no spare connector in the standard wiring loom.  

I reckon the garage will tell you that they can wire in the second fan but they'll want to do a proper job and wire it into a a spare fuse connection etc etc and long story short; it would be easier if you just use one of your two fans and keep the other as a spare.  They'll probably tell you they have a spare OEM spall fan connector and will just replace the bullet connectors with this.

If you're fitting a larger capacity alloy rad at the front end and and remote thermostat kit at the rear you'll still achieve your aim of better moderation of temperate around the system with just the one fan.... I expect they'll say.  

Hope that helps

Cheers

MrWill

On 4/1/2018 at 21:38, the ref said:

the S2 Elise 111s with air con have a double fan setup. I would feed another supply to the second fan with a inline fuse.

That's good to know and thanks for the reply.  In the end for my standard K S2 I went with the simpler option ditching one of the two fans which came with the radiator and just plugging one new fan into the existing loom.  For the record it was pretty much a Ronseal 'does what it says on the tin' experience:  the PRRT + 42mm alloy rad instantly lowered the indicated water temperature by 4 to 5 degrees (circa 85degC)   Never saw anything over 90 on the way home from the garage and under short sprints the temp initially goes down to about 82... I suspect because the larger capacity rad makes better use of the increasing air flow.  Good mod. :ike:

My 111S blew its rad 18 months ago, it doesn't have aircon, so I bought a new alloy rad thinking it would have 1 fan. When I got the rad off I found it had 2 so had to buy another one. The frame which held them on to the rad had disintegrated and rather than get a new one I made some mounts and pop riveted them to the edge of the rad. All still working ok and nothing has fallen off. 

16 hours ago, Foggy said:

My 111S blew its rad 18 months ago, it doesn't have aircon, so I bought a new alloy rad thinking it would have 1 fan. When I got the rad off I found it had 2 so had to buy another one. The frame which held them on to the rad had disintegrated and rather than get a new one I made some mounts and pop riveted them to the edge of the rad. All still working ok and nothing has fallen off. 

thats very helpful and (assuming previous owners haven't  had work done) suggests we now know:

- S2 and 111s wiring looms are different at the front end.

- the 111s K series S2  wiring loom is plumbed in for the twin fan upgrade irrespective of whether aircon is fitted or not

- the standard K s2 loom ... Only takes a single fan. 

Archived