litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Selling up

chrislane

I've had the S1 for a couple of years now, but i think I’m going to look at moving it on. Bit of a shame really as the car is now running great after a few problems in the first 6 months, but i have only managed about 900 miles over the last 12 months and cant see that number increasing much in the next year. Other priorities have taken over with a new job last summer and the ever increasing time demands of a young family.  I've also signed up to a number of sporting challenges for 2018 to raise money for Clic Sargent which i can see taking up a fair chunk of my "me time" through this spring and summer (shameless plug - https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/christopher-lane5). Plus i need to free up some space to keep my new bike as there is only so long Mrs L will accept it cluttering up the conservatory! 

So if anyone would be interested in knowing more about a nicely spec'd s1 for fast road / track use then give me a shout.

Whatever happens i'm sure i'll stay in touch with the great people of MLOC - working at the airport makes it very easy to pop along for passenger rides at Donington trackdays at the very least!

A tough decision to make, as it has been to let go of my previous two lotus, but the time feels right to let the car go. I’m 100% sure I’ll be back at some point in the future!

Feel free to let me know why this is a terrible idea!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this is a terrible idea!.....

just look at the people who sell their loved S1's and then seek them out, to buy back again at a later time....you are clearly ambivalent about giving it up!

can't you keep it SORN'd for a while?  

22 minutes ago, stratosboy said:

this is a terrible idea!.....

You are probably correct, but if its not going to be used, then i need the space.  I have tried to convince Mrs L to move to somewhere with a double garage but, alas, to no avail.........

Buy a shed for the bike mate - simples!

Remember the elise is an appreciating asset.  You could try swapping it for a bog standard low miler and it will appreciate even faster.

You’re probably both right. The problem is as much as I love it, I have this irrational guilty feeling because I don’t drive it enough. I’ll really miss track days though!

I’ve got it advertised so we will see if there is any interest.

900 miles in 12 months.... I did about 1200 in the Elise and currently 1500-2000 in the Exige.

They are not an every day car, they are for blowing away the cobwebs, track days, Sunday runs, meetings, having a drive and forgetting about every day life and finally they appreciate.

You'd regret selling up.

If you sell up it may be many many years before you are in a position to buy another.

Besides the smiles and fun you may or may not have time to enjoy with the car from an appreciating asset point of view it makes financial sense to keep it.

If there is a way don't let it go.

As others have said, if you can get your head around keeping it you should.  You'll earn more money having it say in the garage with the mileage not increasing than you will if the money is in the bank.  And at least you can get it out on a whim and go for a drive if the opportunities arise, lot more fun than having it in the bank  :)  

I've had 4 Lotus's. Every time one has gone I've ended up hankering after another shortly after, the proceeding car not lasting long in my ownership. And ultimately it costing me!  I'm just on the look out for my 5th, faced with the reality that prices have increased significantly since my last one went a year ago.  If you've gone through the initial pain and got it sorted, you'll regret letting it go.

Chris, come to your senses!   As Dean has said, get a shed if you need more space.  I have a large shed in the back garden for exactly this reason.   Don’t worry about low mileage, and instead see it as a solid place to keep your money that puts a big smile on your face, especially if you don’t drive it very often.

If none of this persuades you, this might - I had my S1 for under 4 years, and made almost 70% on it at the time I bought the V6 in October.   That absolutely wasn’t why I bought it, and granted it was a fairly minty S160, but I still think you could expect a very nice “on paper” return every year if you keep it nice and stay on top of it maintenance-wise.

Don't do it......:angry:

I’m with the others, If you don’t need the money keep it, store it somewhere if you need the space. Young families grow up very quickly and lightweight Elises are only going to go up in value. Look at it as an investment, for when your time becomes your own again.

Well that didn't take long. The car has gone off to its new home today.  I am a bit sad to see it go, it was a great car to drive, but i cant help thinking it is the right move at this point in time, despite agreeing with pretty much everything that you guys have written above. 

I'll try not to be a stranger, as this club has been a significant part of the enjoyment i have got from all three of my lotus. And i wont rule out no 4 joining the fray at some point, but its going to be a few years off based on current thinking. 

Cheers guys

Chris

On 20/03/2018 at 14:17, chrislane said:

Well that didn't take long. The car has gone off to its new home today.  I am a bit sad to see it go, it was a great car to drive, but i cant help thinking it is the right move at this point in time, despite agreeing with pretty much everything that you guys have written above. 

I'll try not to be a stranger, as this club has been a significant part of the enjoyment i have got from all three of my lotus. And i wont rule out no 4 joining the fray at some point, but its going to be a few years off based on current thinking. 

Cheers guys

Chris

Proper gutted  ☹

Archived