litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Door waist seals - any interest?

Foxy

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Elise shop ones are a pretty good alternative, I've just fitted those and with the right tool it took 20 minutes both sides.  I couldn't however find the inner anywhere but luckily mine were easy to clean up before fitting.  I've bought and fitted S2 also in the past and I'm fairly sure from memory they are even easier to fit but look more complex to manufacture. For a start they include both sides and a fixing to the rear.  My man-math world say there is a saving but I'm not sure it's worth while, more a pocket money venture.  That said I'm fairly sure they've increased possibly doubled in price since I bought them, I don't think I paid that much.  Looking at the design I should imagine there is CAD work, tooling and jigs involved as well as prototyping, materials and man hours all of which have increased in price over the recent years, VAT too.    Personally I couldn't be doing with the organising, selling and the sending side unless I did this sort of thing for a living. I am however interested to know whats involved in getting something like this to market.

Edit: Probably should have found the 2012 invoice first £76.90 for both S2 waist seals inc 20% VAT.  Still that was 6 six years ago and you'd need to start from scratch I would have thought.  What's the plan Foxy?

13 hours ago, PJT said:

Foxy, I’ve just had mine changed. I’ll see if it’s not too later for the Garage to keep the old ones. They may have already chucked them

Thanks, that would be a great help.

23 hours ago, jonnyfox said:

What's the plan Foxy?

We’re currently at the ‘in principle’ stage having had discussions with a manufacturer who said they can do it, but we need a sample for them to chop up and reverse engineer. As you say it’s a significant investment- well into 5 figures, but based on initial estimates it’s doable. They’ll be quite a bit more than £50 each though...but less than £100...I hope! I’m assuming people will be happy with a price in that range given the stainless internals...

1 hour ago, Foxy said:

Thanks for checking. 

Anyone else?

Try jct600..

Alternatively you could buy some new ones for someone to pass on their used ones. Or use the new ones to chop up if it'll be worth it in the long run. 

I need mine replacing and both already off the car but need to replace them with some others. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2018 at 14:44, Foxy said:

I'm looking in to getting door waist seals made up (S2/S3). These new ones will have stainless steel 'inners' so won't corrode like the standard ones (if you can find them!).

Does anyone have any old seals that we can use for evaluation and chopping apart?

How are you getting on with this? Have you managed to source some waist seals?

• 1 month later...
On 17/03/2018 at 16:51, El-ahrairah said:

How are you getting on with this? Have you managed to source some waist seals?

We’ve found a supplier, now waiting for tooling quotes etc.

Archived