litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

So what's everyone up to with their Lotus just now?

Phil S1

Well I've just about finished polishing away as many swirl marks as I could and have then rewaxed it all, apart from the front bumper/splitter which still needs a little more work.

A quick photo off my phone...

IMG_20180107_105711961_HDR.jpg

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So whilst putting my Christmas trees away I stumbled across a sports car in my garage that I had completely forgotten about !

All tucked up under its car cover with the tickle charger and de-humidifier buzzing away every now and then,

A quick check of the phone and the last time i took it out was a bright sunny evening.....on14th September..

So anyone who has me on "social media" will know i ran a Honda S2000 as well in 2015/16, but the missus suggested i sell it to buy a new kitchen. The up side of the sale was a healthy profit on the car and some fun motoring, although i was a little underwhelmed tbh with the car, despite always wanting to own one.

So the kitchen still hasn't materialised yet so i  invested the cash in an 987 boxster S. which in polar opposites to the honda I had no great expectations of, but i actually prefer. It handles great, sounds meaty and goes like s@@t off a stick ! The result of this is that whenever the mood and time arise i have been taking the Porsche out rather than the lotus, I think its a roof off thing, as I had a great drive around the cat and fiddle in the snow and ice sans roof with the son and heir,

So to the Lotus.

It needs a service and MOT, plus a Geo and more importantly, or expensively an Ohlins rebuild. It seems I need to take a trip to Harrogate for this as I can't find anyone local who offers a re-build service, unless anyone has an good recommendations ?

The front of the car also needs a re-spray as the rivera blue paint shows up the gravel rash and after 4 years of peak district roads its peppered.

and finally if the man maths will add up I would dearly like a set of Tillet B5 seats to complete the lightweight diet.

After all that i promise i will drive it more, because it is without doubt the best handling car and makes me smile !!

Richbk

3 hours ago, richbk said:

So whilst putting my Christmas trees away I stumbled across a sports car in my garage that I had completely forgotten about !

All tucked up under its car cover with the tickle charger and de-humidifier buzzing away every now and then,

A quick check of the phone and the last time i took it out was a bright sunny evening.....on14th September..

So anyone who has me on "social media" will know i ran a Honda S2000 as well in 2015/16, but the missus suggested i sell it to buy a new kitchen. The up side of the sale was a healthy profit on the car and some fun motoring, although i was a little underwhelmed tbh with the car, despite always wanting to own one.

So the kitchen still hasn't materialised yet so i  invested the cash in an 987 boxster S. which in polar opposites to the honda I had no great expectations of, but i actually prefer. It handles great, sounds meaty and goes like s@@t off a stick ! The result of this is that whenever the mood and time arise i have been taking the Porsche out rather than the lotus, I think its a roof off thing, as I had a great drive around the cat and fiddle in the snow and ice sans roof with the son and heir,

So to the Lotus.

It needs a service and MOT, plus a Geo and more importantly, or expensively an Ohlins rebuild. It seems I need to take a trip to Harrogate for this as I can't find anyone local who offers a re-build service, unless anyone has an good recommendations ?

The front of the car also needs a re-spray as the rivera blue paint shows up the gravel rash and after 4 years of peak district roads its peppered.

and finally if the man maths will add up I would dearly like a set of Tillet B5 seats to complete the lightweight diet.

After all that i promise i will drive it more, because it is without doubt the best handling car and makes me smile !!

Richbk

rich i think there s quite a few places that do OHLIN rebuilds. would it not be easy to have it sat on axle stands and send them via post?
alternatively sell them to me :D

23 hours ago, Alex B said:

rich i think there s quite a few places that do OHLIN rebuilds. would it not be easy to have it sat on axle stands and send them via post?
alternatively sell them to me :D

Alex you are assuming that I know how to remove the suspension !!! Or more importantly re fit it !!. Seems it's a 3/4 week job for the re build and no one has space for my car to be hanging around taking up work space at a garage alas.

so I figured if I took it to the re builders they could keep the car and do the geo etc when the suspension was refreshed. It's a nice drive up that way if nothing h else 

On 07/01/2018 at 16:21, Phil S1 said:

Well I've just about finished polishing away as many swirl marks as I could and have then rewaxed it all, apart from the front bumper/splitter which still needs a little more work.

A quick photo off my phone...

IMG_20180107_105711961_HDR.jpg

Very nice indeed Phil, I’m not immune to a spot of garage-polishing-itis myself either....

Looking forward to the spring months and a bit of decent weather.   

No plans to do much with mine yet, though I did manage a couple of trips out when the roads were dry recently, and tried out my GoPro (bought to use on my bike, but the suction cup mount was just screaming “buy me”)...

Polishing complete, there was something else that's been bugging me since I bought the Evora and that was a chip at the base of the screen on the driver's side. It's been repaired prior to me getting it and hasn't got any worse since. Whilst it doesn't warrant a new screen, it's a blemish and it bugs me!

As it's where it is I thought I'd try to mask it with a sticker but couldn't find anything suitable that would look right, in the end I found an Evora silhouette image that I liked the look of. Then, with more than a little help from my daughter Laura we resized it and printed it onto the back of the some grey sticky black plastic after which Laura carefully cut it out with a scalpel. I then carefully applied the individual pieces to the screen and voila - no chip :)

Not an easy thing to photograph but this is it before and after...

It'll be a good job when winter's over....I think I need to get out more :lol:

IMG_20180103_165443353.jpg

IMG_20180110_163110693.jpg

Nice work Phil, I know what you mean about chips being annoying, I haven’t got any major ones on the Exige yet - apart from two new ones on the front clam about half an inch from where the bloody Armourfend finishes....

However I do agree that you need to get out more...!!!

:)

I'm waiting for a neighbour to visit relatives in NZ for a couple of months (does this every year; I look after his house, and have use of his garage...), so I can put the S2/KSeries in their garage for the duration and 1) free-up the heater/temp control (it's stuck at 1/4-past); 2) free up on of the rear callipers (v slight binding). After this, I might mod the TB to give a little more top-end (worked well on the 1.8MPi I have in my MG Midget).

Looks a bit boring compared with entries above... but I've only had the car since Sept (2002, 23k miles) and I want a summer's motoring before I decide what I want to do with it...

BTW - I have a rattle from around the driver's rear wheel-arch over bumps... it's a classic damped sheet-metal rattling against something... any ideas?

On ‎02‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 12:25, Phil S1 said:

Why are you spraying the front splitter FISH, just a refresh or a change of colour?

I want the front splitter matt black to match the side vents and rear diffuser, then possibly matt black rear spoiler. I'd like it to look like my old S1. 

Windscreen wiper mod is done (wiper with in built washers jets).

Struggling to motivate myself to do anything else.

I went out for a squirt in mine this morning, just around the Lincolnshire Wolds. That’s consistent Sunday blats so far this year. 

Dry January is ensuring the miles go up on the Exige, I need a hit somewhere in my life....

Archived