litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Elise S2 canvas roof

massakk

Hi all,

i need some big help if at all possible!! I have an S2 Elise 2002 reg and it comes with the fishtail canvas roof. There are these plastic fixings which are on the underside of each of the roof fishtails and these fixings slide into a small recess on the car which then secures the roof to the car. One of these plastic fixings had snapped away before I got my car and this part of the roof starts to flap about as I can't secure it down and I'm needing to replace it this fixing. This part is all fixed into the canvass and so I'm thinking I'm needing a new roof which is very expensive, and so maybe a scrap roof would be best, I'm not so sure!!

I would be so grateful if can anyone recommend what I should do where I could go to sort this out? Many thanks ladies amd gents, this is massively appreciated!!

regards

karim

IMG_0714.JPG

IMG_0713.JPG

IMG_0715.JPG

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, a scrap roof would be very expensive! You could try Allon White Sports Cars though; they do roof refurbishment. They’re in Cranfield near Bedford. I had my seats reupholstered by them and was very pleased with their work.

Heeeeeey buddy!! Awww massive thanks for your reply and advice..big hugs!! Yeah I just emailed them and fingers crossed!! I have tried so many places and they all don't really want to know which is so frustrating!! The previous keeper I can see used some sort of black resin to fix it and I've tried various strong bonding glues but nothing works!! There is an old fishtail roof going on eBay and I have asked the seller to show the underside of the fishtail parts to see if them plastic secring fixings are there as it a couple of hundred pounds. if I just bought it and it turns up without any of them fixings..that's a serious amount of money wasted!! This seller hasn't responded which is annoying!!! Grrrrr!! I'm hoping that the place you recommend can help amd it's not too far from where I am in Croydon!! Cheers once again buddy!! X

Heeeey fella!! How's it going, cheers for the advice..and sorry for the late one finished work well late...hehe!! Fella i haven't yet purchased this roof, I'm trying everywhere I can think of..and this'll be a last resort!!! I'm quite hacked of with this person who has advertised it as when I went into eBay earlier yesterday, a pop up notification showed that the seller had advertised more lotus pare parts and so he would of seen my message there and obviously deliberately ignoring it..guessing that by not answering my message he lacks manners and that I'll give up I'll buy it anyway!! I hate people Iike this..bloody cheat!!!

ill get it only if it suits me you knwow what I mean dude and if I receive it after previously posting him a message asking for very essential information, then I'll take it further for sure!! If you have any ideas where I could find a place for these soft top roofs, it be massively appreciated!!

cheers and have a fab Xmas chap

karim

I know you said you've tried various superglues but have you tried Q bond? You deliberately leave overspill round the join, onto which you pour powder and it sets like rock. I used it to mate 2 halves of a broken side skirt on my MR2 and the join was the strongest part of the skirt. I'll happily post you the glue and powder if you want to give it a try.

Good luck

Heeey fella!! Ahhh okay I'll have a look at that!! Awww matey that so very kind, thank you!! It's okay, I'll get some Q bond and have a look into it!! I was looking ages and ages for a bonding adhesive and never knew what would be best!! Hehe!!  I have some small files, as the area that the part snapped from has dried glue all in there and so have to file all the mess away so that it'll join up lovely to then be glued!! Have a fab Xmas buddy, and once gain many thanks for the offer!! 

Heeey chap!! Below is an image of the area in the canvass which I have to re attach the broken part!! As you can see there all dried glue in there!!! Such a ruddy mess!!! I had used gorilla bonding glue!! It was totally rubbish!! Hehe!!

IMG_0719.JPG

Archived