litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

1966 Elan S3 DHC SE

Who remembers the old 'barn find' Lotus Elan that me and my father took to LitP three years ago? She looked like this....

image.jpeg.06003bd874b3dbe5265d225941f9758d.jpeg

After three years of work she's finally back on the road after having had a full nut and bolt re-build. The plan was to take the original matching numbers car painstakingly back to its original specification as supplied when new. Some of the works carried out includes the fitting a new original specification Lotus chassis, the body having been removed, fully restored and repainted in the original Lotus Cirrus white, a major overhaul of the engine, transmission, suspension, electrics, braking and fueling systems has been carried out. The interior has been fully re-trimmed by Allon White to original specification and a new convertible roof has just been fitted.

The car is currently with Chris Foulds Lotus who are detailing the car mechanically and working their way through the snagging list. They've had the car for four days and with some luck should be complete and home before the year is out. Here's what she looks like now...

image.thumb.jpeg.0d79aa04eae9b4d65b0e21688fa84a30.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.21bbb7770ce02a2d63b791839dedae36.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.9c7b77992db75d52d83f173e4196260a.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.2dc48dc8468de4453a857d797f1b594b.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.c914ce34b6fe2db6f9356e7c27b1f630.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.f95cb202be2d8cd3c4192e9e7cd3129c.jpeg

Roll on Spring!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could a car be any more perfect? What with this, Jonny's Exige and Leigh's Stratos we're going to have some stunning machinery to see next year....well maybe not next year in Leigh's case :wink:

Congratulations Simon (and Mike) look forward to seeing it :tup:

Simon, this is an absolute beauty.   Looks like no stone has been left unturned.    Can't wait to see it (next summer?).   I remember it well from 2014 and the kids writing stuff on it is a very fond memory I have of Chatsworth that year :)

What a difference 3 years makes....

IMG_0246.jpg

IMG_0249.jpg

IMG_0250.jpg

Thank you all for the lovely comments, I must however give most of the credit to my father, he's done a lot of work to this car, scoured the planet for original parts and almost worn himself out in the process. 

The basics were there when we bought the car, original engine and transmission, the body is the original it left the factory with and even both doors have the matching body numbers written on the inside of each. The only part of the body we had to replace was the boot lid and we managed to source a used but original panel, oh, the light headlamp pods were replacements but again original parts.

We decided to replace the Spyder chassis which turned out to be a wise move, according to Chris Foulds the Spyder chassis is too stiff compared with an original design and to the classic Lotus guys a Lotus chassis is a must, particularly when you want to sell the car.

Thank you Dave for the images, made me chuckle seeing them, I'd forgotten just how bad she looked!

It's a keeper Mark and thanks, she's turned out a real beauty.

The car has been off the road since 1976 but it won't be long before she's out and about burning rubber on those twisty Derbyshire roads!

Thanks again everyone!  

Archived