litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Hi!

I bought a 2002 Elise S2 on re-bound... it's low miles (23k) and has signs of being looked after in the past (copper-slip here and there) but recent service record is poor.

The first thing I did was a C service at Neil Garner - they look after a friend's Griffith and his experience was excellent. For me , they did everything I asked, and more, for a total of £600 (included MoT).

I have experience of KSeries engines in my Midget (bought 1977, converted by self in 2002); I think they are great engines, and I have several friends that have raced them for many years with minimal problems.

The Elise had a cracked rear wheel found by NG.s - bought a recon off ebay from Lancs. - this was due to over-tightening; plugs over-tightened too; does the world think that Lotuses need everything done up mega-tight?

My impression of the car is that it's a bit more hard-core than I was expecting - but the handling and balance is great... and the engine is a lovely torquey thing.

I have to keep the car outside at mo, and so prone to collecting rain. A couple of days ago, left home after heavy shower, and car developed a bad misfire - 2 and/or 3 cyls - as I turned up-hill. Back at home, I found water in #3 plug-valley. I also found the internals on the #1 coil extension a bit fuzzy, so I bought a new one (internals still not as good as OE, I thought). Car went fine for a few miles after fitting, and then the mis-fire came back with a vengance. So today I had another look, and figured water was coming in through the rear cam-cover screw... and finding its way to #3 plug.  So I made some washers for the 3 bolts using bike-inner tube, squirted some WD-40 on plug leads, and had a long-trouble free drive.

Other observations... head-lights very badly aligned (I've done 1st level improvement... but more needed); the suspension is a bit crashy over bumps. The heater cable needs freeing (need to get under the bonnet for this...).

Apart from from this... it's a great machine and I'm looking forward to have a great deal of fun over next years in it.

I'd like to meet other owners and find out more about these cars from them... anyone in the Malvern area? Where does everyone meet?

Apologies for the ramble... too much to get off my chest and a great deal to learn...

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

20171014_Elise.thumb.jpg.ab092bc7ad97d9cc85c537aabf2cb2fa.jpg actually

Thanks for replies...

I'd settle for Hereford-Gloucester-Evesham-Worcester 'triangle' - maybe that's a Rhombus...  I have been know to leave MHDC area... add in Tewkes and Chelt...

I've included a pic ... I think blue suits the S2 well.

BTW - it could have been an S1, but my wife really wasn't happy about getting in and out... by comparison, my Midget is a doddle. (Midget is also showing 136bhp / 133 lb-ft at Aldon running an Emerald with some simple inlet mods too. I weighed it at Mallory track-day at 718 Kg with ~full tank... so you can see it's not a slow car; it's done 3 UK TDs this last summer, and drove over to Nurburgring for a TD on the Nord-S, and then toured down Rhine and Mosel valleys. I am the unofficial registrar for KSeries Midgets - we include Zetecs as well, as we feel a bit sorry for them. I'm in the MG Car Club and Porsche Club GB... Porsche will be 'doing' the Mille Miglia next summer).

I did a TD at Abbeville summer 2016 (extreme wet!) with LoT - we (KSeries Midgets and MGoT) share the odd TD with LoT - they are a great bunch... similarly enthusiastic.

My plan is to get the Elise to this state of reliability (or build up my confidence in it) so I can do similar.

Thanks for sharing the photo Ant, nice looking motor. You sound like quite an enthusiast when it comes to cars!

Miles H who comes on here from time to time is in the Cheltenham area I believe, I'm sure there'll be others too :)

Archived