litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Brake swap , big to small.

winthattt

I want to put my S2 Exige back to the standard front brakes rather than the current big brake kit.  The big brakes have a banjo fitting onto the caliper rather than the inline fitting on the standard brakes.  Changing the hoses is a clam off job.  If there a union fitting that converts banjo to straight. AP say it can be (is) done but cab't give me the part number for Lotus.  Anyone done this...otherwise it's a clam/off/on job for Gavin.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went the other way with my Elise (Exige front clam) and I got the adapter from AP brakes to turn the straight union into a banjo. Are you sure the lines on the car don;t have this converter that just needs removing? The banjo bit is crimped onto the hose and not just threaded onto the end of a straight fitting?

You can buy adapters to turn a Banjo bolt into a straight fitting like this (USA) https://www.amazon.com/Auto-Meter-2276-Banjo-Bolt/dp/B00063065A

Not sure where you could get them in the UK or if they would work in your situation?

7 hours ago, Christopher Lawless said:

I never knew this. I was thinking of saving for the bigger brake kit for mine but if the clam has to come off to fit them I don't think I'll bother now.

Out of interest how come you are taking them off and going back to the smaller brakes?

You can get an adapter that will convert your straight m10 (I think that's what size it is) brake line to a banjo to allow fitting of the bigger brakes. That's what I did on mine so no clam off.

8 hours ago, Christopher Lawless said:

I never knew this. I was thinking of saving for the bigger brake kit for mine but if the clam has to come off to fit them I don't think I'll bother now.

Out of interest how come you are taking them off and going back to the smaller brakes?

I will be selling the car at some stage soon.  I have a Caterham and the Exige has only gone 250 miles this year. The big brakes are overkill on the road and not needed. I have been taking the goodies off the car and selling them as they add nothing to its value. 

I need to find an adaptor that fits.  Putting an adaptor on that converts straight to banjo look ok but not the other way round.

• 4 months later...
On 31/10/2017 at 17:18, Dr H said:

You can get an adapter that will convert your straight m10 (I think that's what size it is) brake line to a banjo to allow fitting of the bigger brakes. That's what I did on mine so no clam off.

I'm going with this now on mine and rather than the expense of taking the clam off again could you tell me where you got your banjo adaptors from please?

I managed to persuade AP to sell me some. Took a while but they eventually come good. was years ago now so don't have the contact I'm afraid.

However, this place does an m10 x 1 female to banjo. http://atecautotechnic.co.uk/en/brake-system/banjo-with-outlet-m10x1-female-2041.html they do it with a 10mm banjo which should work.

Just changed all my hoses to braided with the clam on. Access is beneath the front grills. Lotus kindly fitted an opening in the crash box to access the lines. It's fiddly but I've done it with no special tools.

3 hours ago, StokieAfro said:

Just changed all my hoses to braided with the clam on. Access is beneath the front grills. Lotus kindly fitted an opening in the crash box to access the lines. It's fiddly but I've done it with no special tools.

It's possible on an Elise but not on an Exige AFAIK.

How much do you think you would want for your big brake parts? maybe some sort of deal could be done as I have recently replaced by calipers with some almost new standard lotus ones if you dont already have them. I also have alloy belled disks (I have s2 front hubs) The rotors are new but the bells are a little old.

Big brakes are still on my car, doubt they are coming off for now.  I have my old brakes and discs to go back on.  I don’t think they would fit your car anyway, you need Exige wheels to clear them.

keith

Archived