litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Dilema

StokieAfro

Good question! On second thoughts it wasn't Autumn 2016 when I viewed it was summer time, around June or July time? I was like you, very undecided about whether or not to make the change. That car wasn't the cheapest out there but I went for a look because it was only 10 miles away and I really liked the colour. I was hoping that there would be a possibility of some serious negotiating but I think that the new purchase price was still very raw in Dave's mind so he wasn't in the mood to drop the price lol. There was absolutely nothing about the car that put me off, just my own indecision coupled with the price. Dave could have snagged me easy with a bit of salesmanship and about £1.5K  knocked off the asking price :)

EDIT: fancy a quick drive in your SR? Have a blatt over to my place this afternoon (Eyam, Derbyshire) or take up Luke on his offer. Best to have a chat to an owner and poke around one without the pressure of actually buying, can only help. OR, get yourself over to the Oakmere breakfast next Sunday - that could be really helpful to you.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice looking mota :) 

Bought my first Lotus from Swifts - Dave is a top bloke, used to race lotus at one time - if its the Same Dave - his surname was Underwood, though who owned Swifts.

His sales technique is something else - took me for a spin around the peaks showing me what it could do, in damp conditions. when we cam back he didn't seem bothered if I was interested or not - more trying to show me around the business - paint shop etc. they had. Oh and really wanted to show off his race Exige - also in Orange ;)

All he wants to do is drive - fast :) 

Yes, my mistake -  Dave Underwood! Slip on my part as I had to Google the garage name and then got Swift into my brain! Like you say his sales technique is ....er.... interesting lol. Good guy though. I wonder if the car is on SOR at DH or if they now own it?

Heres a question do drive top on or off ? the Exige looks ace but then I prefer your Sports Racer, I'm top off kind of guy so biased, although the top can come off the Exige but takes a bit of time.

ps we  always find a way to rationalise the things we want :)  if its your desire go for it 

Don't know what you mean there Ray, the soft top on the Exige V6 roadster is identical to the soft top on your car, takes exactly the same time to remove/replace. Even if you buy an Exige Coupe it's a one hour DIY job to convert it to use a softop - provided you can find one for sale that is lol.

Anyway, I bet the OP hardly ever takes the top off his Sports Racer because they look so damn beautiful with the hardtop in place :)

27 minutes ago, duncx said:

Don't know what you mean there Ray, the soft top on the Exige V6 roadster is identical to the soft top on your car, takes exactly the same time to remove/replace. Even if you buy an Exige Coupe it's a one hour DIY job to convert it to use a softop - provided you can find one for sale that is lol.

Anyway, I bet the OP hardly ever takes the top off his Sports Racer because they look so damn beautiful with the hardtop in place :)

can't argue with that :) 

• 2 weeks later...

So I've been to Carlisle today and driven the V6. They scored a bit of a home goal from the outset as the car had a flat battery, they knew I was coming and I would have expected they have ensured the car had sufficient charge. As a result,  none of the gauges worked for the duration of the test drive.  Low charge mode apparently, both needles just bounced back and forth. I don't know if this is BS or whether the car has a genuine problem hopefully you guys can help me out with this.

First impression  following the drive... I didn't boot the car too hard and yes the torque delivery impressed but didn't blow me away. Yes the car was more refined than my old girl but that's not what I'm necessarily looking for in a Lotus, It's clear Lotus have tried to refine the car but it's not quite there it's neither refined nor raw its struggling for an identity in my view. The burnt orange is nice but on a dull day doesn't wow you either. I'd say its different as opposed to special. It certainty doesn't warrant the premium they're asking for the car. I need to see and get a feel for more cars.

All sounds a little bit negative but that's not the case it's still a bloody nice machine and a contender at the right price.

Q? For you V6 coupe owners do you drive them with the roof out also.

• 1 month later...

Just a tiny bit of additional advice.  I'd also drive a recent Elise 220 (any variant), back to back with an Exige 350.

I think you'll find that the Elise feels very quick indeed, is beautifully light and balanced, has immense turn-in bite (especially with a little lift), and enough mid range grunt to bullet out of corners with that gorgeous low mass feel.

And, after driving an Exige 350 on the Silverstone open day (and a car that I really wanted to like), I have to say that came away a tad underwhelmed.  Compared to the Elise on a typical tight B-road, it just felt a tad unwieldy with that big, heavy V6 lump hanging out at the back, especially over mid-corner bumps (oooh, errr, mrs).  And, of course, inside, it's exactly the same as the Elise.

Having said that, I'd have a 430 tomorrow, or on the 25th (whichever is most convenient for Santa really :)).

Archived