Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Dilema

StokieAfro

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That looks lovely.

I've recently (3 days ago!) replaced my S1 Sport 160 with an Exige S (Roadster).

I've only done about 80 miles in it so far but "new car" thing apart, I'm pleased I made the swap. The V6 is a beast to drive, tonnes of torque and power on tap and whilst it's bigger and heavier than the Elise (especially an S1) it doesn't feel that way.

Test drive it, twice if you can, including a back to back drive with your Elise, that should help make your mind up!

I went from a Sports Racer (red one!) to an Exige, it was a difficult decision but after 6 years I was ready for a change. I loved my SR but I don't miss it to be honest, the V6 is a fantastic car, not quite as nimble as the S2 but you get used to that very quickly and IMO it's better in every other way. More power, more poise, more grip, better brakes, far better ride, no rattles, no squeeks, lovely exhaust note, drop dead gorgeous looks. Just my opinion of course lol.

Is the orange car the one at David Hayton with 1700ish miles on the clock? I've viewed that car last year - it's immaculate and I loved the colour. 

Are you planning to keep the SR forever? If you can afford it then it's better to try different cars IMO. :tup:

EDIT: I've just remembered a disadvantage with the V6 - the steering is so heavy at parking speeds that my wife can't park/drive it. (At least I think that's a disadvantage?)

Yes it's the car a David Hayton with 1500miles. I've had my eye on it for a couple of months and made an initial enquiry.

For me buying a Lotus is an emotive purchase not a rational one and I have been trying to rationalise it for the last couple of months.

Buying the SR was easy I knew what I wanted and searched for 12months or more to find the right car. I still love it every time I take her out she makes me smile. Six years on (seems like the magic numnber) I just find myself wanting and the Exige is beautiful. The colours right for me, imo you don't buy a car like this to blend in.

Think I'll give then a call in the morning with a view to test driving next weekend.

Ok bit of info for you then...

Car was bought new from JCT Leeds by David Swift - he runs Swifts Performance in Sheffield, in the past they have done quite a bit of service work on Lotus cars so he knows his stuff! I viewed the car last Autumn when it had done 800 miles, it was absolutely immaculate throughout. I had a long chat with David, he had run in the car properly but simply didn't get the time to use it. I got the impression that he bought it on a whim lol. One point of interest is that the door cards are the type that are fitted to roadsters (diamond quilted) - David had no idea why that was, that's just how it came. Incidentally, the orange stitching on the black leather is bloody gorgeous :)

One last thought, at that money you are getting close (or even into) 350 territory, is it that car only that you are thinking about? The colour maybe? Lol

Archived