litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Stack Issue

Thomas Harborne

Hi all, been for a little drive this afternoon and noticed my stack acting weird. Speedo was bobbing up and down when still. Then the temp gauge now reads 999c and is flashing intermittently. The speedo now doesnt work at all. Everything else is fine. Any ideas? 

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bad earths can send the stack a bit bonkers, also worth checking the speed sensor it's attached to the passenger side rear wheel hub. Give the hub a good clean up and check the sensor is plugged in correctly. Hopefully it's not the stack that's the problem.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/29/2017 at 07:38, Jonathan E said:

Bad earths can send the stack a bit bonkers, also worth checking the speed sensor it's attached to the passenger side rear wheel hub. Give the hub a good clean up and check the sensor is plugged in correctly. Hopefully it's not the stack that's the problem.

Thanks for the info Jonathan. Ive checked wiring visually, check connections on Stack and speed sensor and on ecu and cannot see anything that would cause the issue. I've also changed the temp sensor and still the temp is reading 999c and flashing

I've spoken to Gaz but can't get the car over to him until beginning of October. 

Could you elaborate on a bad earth and how to test this/what to look for? Thanks 

There are numerous earth points on the car, just do a search here or seloc for the locations, good starting point is to follow the battery negative strap back down into the engine bay you'll see its bolted to the chassis theres another up front and several others dotted about, the stack unit also has its own earth wire so you'll need a wiring diagram or further info as to which wire it is but it has been known to cause trouble and some have rewired the stack earth back to the rear earth strap point.

Its also worth trying another temp sender, there have been bad batches in the past. The earth points can get a bit crappy over time and sometimes need cleaning up. Just as a matter of interest have you tried disconnecting the battery then reconnecting and not sure if it works on an S2 and again not sure exactly  what it resets but you could try the following reset procedure.

Turn off ignition

Open the drivers door

Press and hold the trip reset button

turn the ignition switch to second position(before crank) still holding the trip rest button.

The procedure above is used to zero the speedo and rev counter needles not sure if it resets anything else.

Finally visual checks are good but the problem with wires is that they can break within the insulation so really need a vehicle sparky type/proper kit knowledge to check properly. 

18 hours ago, Jonathan E said:

There are numerous earth points on the car, just do a search here or seloc for the locations, good starting point is to follow the battery negative strap back down into the engine bay you'll see its bolted to the chassis theres another up front and several others dotted about, the stack unit also has its own earth wire so you'll need a wiring diagram or further info as to which wire it is but it has been known to cause trouble and some have rewired the stack earth back to the rear earth strap point.

Its also worth trying another temp sender, there have been bad batches in the past. The earth points can get a bit crappy over time and sometimes need cleaning up. Just as a matter of interest have you tried disconnecting the battery then reconnecting and not sure if it works on an S2 and again not sure exactly  what it resets but you could try the following reset procedure.

Turn off ignition

Open the drivers door

Press and hold the trip reset button

turn the ignition switch to second position(before crank) still holding the trip rest button.

The procedure above is used to zero the speedo and rev counter needles not sure if it resets anything else.

Finally visual checks are good but the problem with wires is that they can break within the insulation so really need a vehicle sparky type/proper kit knowledge to check properly. 

Thanks Jonathan, I've managed to find 1 earth point which is connected to the lhs chassis. Light started to fade last night so i called it a day and gave up. Theres another one up front under the drivers side compartment which i haven't looked at yet. 

Yes I've disconnected battery to try and reset any faults. No luck though. I've also tried the stack reset. Unless someone has any info on what wire is what within the stack i think i will just have to wait! 

Can't find anything online regarding the wiring on a Stack unit.

Thanks again. 

Archived