litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Lotus Elise S (Toyota 1zz) startup issue - need help or advice

McQuack[BE]

I'd take that all that as good news as it looks like you've got a reasonably positive diagnosis on a difficult problem. Do make sure that your electrical connections are nice and clean and tight. Since these things are measuring resistance any crud could be more important than a regular on/off type switch. I wouldn't bother opening the electronics if it's riveted up, you'll just end up looking at a part which doesn't tell you much and have to rivet it up again!

It's worth finding some carb cleaner if you can, the wd will superficially clean the surfaces but to remove the gummy deposits you'll need the proper cleaner. Although doesn't look like that's the problem.

Good luck.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree, I don't think cleansing the MAS with wd40 was a good idea as it probabely left som grease on the sensor which will then get dirty very quickly.  In the meantime  I ordered som MAS cleaner and carb cleaner from amazon but it's pretty expensive and not that easy to find. Once I get it I will clean the sensor again to make sur all the grease is gone. The wd40 worked quite well on the throttle body. It was pretty clean and no gummy deposit, only some black greasy deposit. I will take a look at connectors but the were looking very clean.

ECU reflash is an interesting one, a lot of these use learning modes to determine the min/max ranges of things like throttle sensors. By updating your firmware you've also effectively factory reset the ECU so it's likely it went through that learning phase again. And of course newer firmware is no bad thing (speaking as an embedded software developer). 

p.s. Petrol Lawnmower shops for carb cleaner. 

Archived