litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Elise -> Evora

MattyB

Owned my Elise for a year now, but finding I don't use it much. Most of my driving is Motorway/A-road, and I'm usually carrying a passenger - I love the Elise when I get the opportunity, but when the missus moans as it's too raw, or your mates make sure you're picking them up in the VW because they don't want to 'post themselves in it', or I'm visiting the parents which is a 45min motorway journey.....I find I'm leaving the Elise at home alot.

So I'm hoping the Evora can find the balance. Bigger engine, longer geared, more usable but still as enjoyable when needed. The fact I can squeeze a small mate in the back for short journeys is even more of a bonus.

Anyone done it, any downsides, any regrets? Budget is about £30k, so it'll be early, non-S models.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have similar thoughts occasionally - but a good blast on decent roads soon reminds me that I'm not ready to part with my S1 just yet!

Phil - over to you as you've been there and done it with the Evora...

For what you want I reckon it's perfect. You get a Lotus Chassis for the driving pleasure (and it feels like an Elise chassis imo) but with the practicality you need.

Again imo, but I felt the non S was ample power wise.

Only downside for me is the lack of a soft top. Mine is only a N/A and I find it plenty quick enough. Running costs will be a little higher with fuel and tyres etc but it's a great drive. An Evora sounds ideal for your needs I reckon :-)

Don't regret my move from exige to evora.

I use it everyday and its as quick (on road and track) if not quicker than my old exige yet as comfortable and easy to drive as my old jag xf.

Only point to note is you won't get an adult in the back seats.  They are for kids only (perfect for my 5 & 7 year olds).

Sounds like I'm on the right track then in the move. Anyone want to buy an S2 135? :D
I'm not a fan of green cars, unfortunately :( Although I would prefer a more lairy colour rather than black/silver (no offence to current owners, obviously!)

My one and only concern is the whole clutch issue - there are a fair few for sale around the 30-40k mileage range still on the original clutch (or at least, no mention of the change) which would be a slight concern, but I'll worry about that once I'm in a position to start making offers ;)

On 12/08/2017 at 17:52, MattyB said:

Anyone done it, any downsides, any regrets? Budget is about £30k, so it'll be early, non-S models.

Love my N/A Evora!  Did well over 300 miles over the weekend - up to Lincoln for Pistons in the Park on Saturday, and then in and around Silverstone on Sunday.

Every mile feels special though, even when doing battle with Sunday drivers (there were loads out there on Sunday - grrrr).  I've said it before (and I'll say it again - ha) - the sound and grunt of that V6 produces goose bumps like nothing else.  It is also a genuine head turner and didn't feel the slightest bit out-classed in the supercar parking area down at this year's Goodwood FOS!!!

Brilliant - thank you Lotus (and special thanks to Russell Carr for his great design work).

PS Evora GT430 - wow - bloody superb - the best yet (imho).

PPS Erm, I also love my Elise S - supercharged 2ZR - slightly unhinged but completely and utterly addictive.  Longer geared than the 2ZZ screamers but with a fair bit more mid-range torque, so can do the motorway thing (if absolutely necessary) but is also damn quick and loves to play!

Does Gav at unit 4 service evora?

im thinking about one as well, but worried about the cost of a £3500 clutch change every few years. Have to find an independent to do it.

I've owned an Elise then owned a N/A evora and now the Evora 400. The Elise was fun to drive and always put a smile on your face. Whilst the one I had was a 1.8 it felt super quick but also felt nerve racking when a lorry went by you on the motorway. I see the evora as a more grown up lotus. Fun to drive mega fast and sticks to the road like glue, yes costs are a bit more but for what is up there with lots of high end sports cars for the cost of a £30k BMW it's undoubtably the best money you wil ever spend. Not only that the evora is holding its money well so another tick for justifying it to the Mrs lol. My answer is not everyone can afford the 400, 410 or the gt430 if we could that would be the one to go for. But at 30k budget don't wait buy one that stands out and that every time you get out of you look

bavk at and say I bloody love it. :) 

Well, this is an interesting, if sensitive thread for me.

Over the last 13 years I've done the move from an S1 Elise to an S2 Exige and very recently to an Evora NA LE. I did my homework and about 10% of evora owners reported a very expensive clutch replacement. So I decided to buy from a Lotus main dealer, with FSH and upgraded gear cables etc...

Mine came from Christopher Neil - the sales guys were great. But after about 7 weeks the clutch suddenly started slipping badly. To their credit, once the car had been transported back to them, christopher Neil's have replaced the clutch under their own 3 month used car warranty. After five weeks in their garage, and apparently a flywheel as well, I get my car back next week.

I can't wait to get it back. The evora felt faster than my exige and is more settled in the corners and comes with simply the best seats ever. The less said about the sat nav the better though.

Anyway, I guess I've been a bit lucky with the warranty period, but great customer care from Christopher Neil's means I'd buy from them again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived