litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Elise s2 door latch - help

MrWill

Passenger door rattle now believed to be a worn latch mechanism after my LitP plus one discovered that applying pressure on the door outwards or inwards cured the rattle

( I've previously fitted larger striker pins and checked the nylon blocks and window mech and adjusted the window and adjusted the latch position and checked the hinge )

So...Can anyone tell me where I can get a passenger door latch from? I don't fancy paying £138 + vat. Main dealer prices and there's nothing on e-bizzle. Especially so if they are ( so I believe) a standard GM item and might be something I can get one by looking through the parts bin for some common-a-garden family hatch.

Anyone been there, done that,  got the badge?

Many thanks

MrWill

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Couple of turns of insulation tape on the striker pins was the official Lotus fix on early S2's until they came up with the bigger pins, might be worth a go? Have you tried lifting the pin slightly?, or I've also heard of worn door seals being the cause of door rattles in the past. I've never come across a worn door latch though so can't comment on that I'm afraid.

Thanks for the words of wisdom Jonathan -  gives me another couple of things to tick off the 'tried that' list.

I've moved the pins around already; the door seals look fine - but I'll check again.  If the electricity tape does work then I think that will be point to the latch.  BTW - I read that a vibration / rattle from the small pins can (if not sorted) simply wear the latch.

There's a few second hand vx220 latches around which might be worth a cheap punt to find out.

Thanks again 

Will

Archived