litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Paint Cracks

StokieAfro

Embarked on my weekly cleaning routine this morning and found this arrrggghhh...:crybaby:

Would anybody know what causes this kind of phenomena, is it a paint defect or has my car taken an impact which I have been oblivious to?

I wouldn't mind but I had the whole front end resprayed a couple of years ago

20170624_104815.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only time I've seen something similar is when the fibreglass has been impacted, don't know if its just the pic but it looks like its been stressed from underneath, certainly doesn't appear to be an impact from the paint side. Sorry I can't help more and certainly feel your pain I'd be devastated :crybaby: Drop Stephen an email at [email protected] if he can't tell you then nobody will.....Tell him I sent you:tup:

Thanks I'll drop Steve a line.

I've been trying to find out a bit more on the topic, the closest I 've found is spider cracks or stress cracks in the gel coat of the fibre glass sometimes found on older boats.

Proper gutted. 

Yeah I would agree... 

I know the older bodied cars like my dads 70 elan suffered with crazing... Usually 2inch size spiders webs in the gel coat. 

Id whip the wheel off and the arch liner which should give you room to see underneath. 

Hmm, that's not the classic spider crack that you would expect from stone damage etc. Could be old damage/cracks from a frontal impact that has not been properly repaired in the past - doesn't look quite right for that though. Not ruling it out but it looks unusual, not enough parallel cracks for crash damage. Difficult to tell from a photo but I think that we are looking at shrinkage either due to a paint reaction or filler underneath.

Sorry but whatever the cause it's not going to be easy or cheap to rectify. I would live with it for a while,  see if it spreads and then investigate properly. Don't be tempted to try a quick repaint - it will inevitably return without the correct preparation. Very annoying for you :(

10 minutes ago, StokieAfro said:

The front clam was replaced "For new" and painted at Christopee Neils18 months ago or so, worth my while paying them a visit do you think?

Yes, can't hurt to show them but I would also get someone else not connected with the work to have a look. In general CN know what they are doing so I would be surprised if they've cocked up the prep work but you never know!

Are you sure they did use a new clam. I'd be having the wheel arch off as suggested above to see if there is anything on the back of the clam. Investigate and get an independent opinion then approach CN's. They're a good set up so I'd expect it to be a new clam but it's certainly worth checking out first.

I emailed a link to this thread to a friend of mine - he's done a lot of work on Lotus bodywork and he said the following;

"That doesn't look like your standard fibreglass stress crack.  Take a look at the image where there is a reflection (of the photographers arm?), two of the cracks pass from light to dark reflections.  it looks like the top coat is lifting up next to the cracks.  I'd suggest it is some sort of shrinkage crack, maybe caused by a reaction of the top coat and whatever it is painted onto.  Almost looks like you could pick off the top coat.  I'd go for there being a repair of some kind in that area."

Another thought - how close are you to Baslow? There is a Club Lotus meet there tomorrow (Wed 5th), there are usually a few attendees who know their stuff, bring your car and let them have a look. If you're going let me know and I will see if my mate is available too, it's much easier and more reliable to make a diagnosis from seeing the problem in the flesh!

Evening Gents,

Apologies for not getting back, I've not been online for a couple of days. 

@Jonathan E

CN certainly invoiced for a new clam.

@Duncx

Thanks for making the effort it's a pity I missed this, i would have appreciated a knowledgeable opinion.

Archived