litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

S1 Exige - Engine Type / Number Confirmation

111EXG

Hi, please can someone help me out, probably stupid questions but how do I confirm the following:

- where is the engine number located

- how do I confirm if its an original matching numbers car (is there a metal VIN plate somewhere or just confirmed by looking in the logbook & HPI report)?

- Should the engine have 'Exige' written on the cam cover (I understand some may have been built with 'Elise' covers!)?

I'm yet to view the car and only have a few photo's to go off

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, please be gentle ;) 

Engine.bmp

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Engine number located here :

http://www.mgfcar.de/k_engine/

This should match the log book, but anyone can have the engine number changed on the log book to match watch is fitted. 

http://kengine.dvapower.com/  also a S1 exige should have a VHPD engine. How to identify the head is on these pages. 

I do not know the engine numbers for the block, but maybe a visit over to Exiges.com will help?

The chassis number is stamped into the chassis on the drivers side at the rear wheel. 

I hope this at least gets you started?

11 hours ago, AlanS1 said:

Engine number located here :

http://www.mgfcar.de/k_engine/

This should match the log book, but anyone can have the engine number changed on the log book to match watch is fitted. 

http://kengine.dvapower.com/  also a S1 exige should have a VHPD engine. How to identify the head is on these pages. 

I do not know the engine numbers for the block, but maybe a visit over to Exiges.com will help?

The chassis number is stamped into the chassis on the drivers side at the rear wheel. 

I hope this at least gets you started?

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

I've got the engine number, just waiting to get pic of chassis stamp.

Rolling road print out was 185.4bhp at 7880rpm, is that usual for a 190 VHPD with an Emerald? 

Looking at photos of other Exiges, it looks like a few of them might have been built with Elise cam covers from the factory!

Cheers

48 minutes ago, 111EXG said:

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

I've got the engine number, just waiting to get pic of chassis stamp.

Rolling road print out was 185.4bhp at 7880rpm, is that usual for a 190 VHPD with an Emerald? 

Looking at photos of other Exiges, it looks like a few of them might have been built with Elise cam covers from the factory!

Cheers

Didn't know there were any for sale at the moment? Which car is it please?

31 minutes ago, The Cakes said:

Didn't know there were any for sale at the moment? Which car is it please?

It isn't advertised, but I'll post some details and pics if/when I get it..... :)

18 minutes ago, The Cakes said:

Ah ok, drop me a pm with the details if you don't buy it please. 

Will do, although hopefully everything will work out this time! Have you still got that lovely black S1?

2 hours ago, 111EXG said:

Cheers

20170526_082609_zpskg9zp73z.jpg

And about time ;-)

A correct vhpd engine will have some numbers stamped into the head, viewed from the rear of the car on the left hand side, just below the cam cover. They should be very clear.  No idea what they are about. If you can see the block on the back of the engine, just near the head, it will have some of the same numbers stamped on it (matched pair).  If you feel around on the head you can find big letters saying ms2 cast into the head.  I think you can see them on the Jonnyfox build thread.

Elise is normal on the plug cover, other covers are aftermarket or upgrades.

I would not be surprised if the vhpd has been swapped but you do want a vhpd and not a normal 1.8.

http://s286.photobucket.com/user/jonnyfoxy/media/FLAME-PC-01/S1 Images/IMG-20170213-WA0002_zpsnkd1dc2s.jpg.html

• 4 weeks later...

No, after significant research on this particular car and having a spec I wasn't over keen on, I took the tough decisions not to go for it in the end.

Ah ok that's a shame. Could you pm me the details please? I probably sounded a bit harsh on the other thread, it wasn't meant to be. You might have to compromise to get one. I wouldn't get too hung up on spec, other than Motorsport seats and 190 upgrade but even those can be added. 

Archived