Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

6.5" Speaker Upgrade

StokieAfro

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not in an S2, but I've spent a good few hours losing skin off my knuckles changing all 4 speakers and fitting a small subwoofer in the Exige V6 over the last couple of weeks.

The result is superb. The subwoofer makes the biggest difference - suddenly there's real weight to the sound - even at motorway speeds, roof off.

I replaced the 13cm rear speakers with the Infinity Kappas I removed from my S1. Fitted 10cm Focal 100AC's under the front (Alpine) grilles on the dash (including some home made 'cups' made from Silent Coat to sit the speakers in so the sound is projected properly) and a Pioneer sub in the passenger footwell - which I'll be hiding behind a perforated piece of MDF covered in acoustic cloth.

With the decent Kenwood HU from my S1, it now sounds very, very good - far better than I expected.

For the S2, I'd suggest a similar approach - sub for the footwell and replace all the speakers. I think you'll then hear a massive difference.

Hope this helps. I'm sure some S2 owners will be along soon to help out too..

• 2 months later...

I've taken the Alpine subwoofer SWD-1600 out of my passenger footwell because I didn't like it (plus 4kg weight), I still have it with the Alpine head unit too if anyone wants it as a bundle. The bass just isn't to my taste but it certainly fits very well in the car (S2 111R).

I'm interested in the speaker suggestions too, thanks. Although I think the most immediate issue is the plastic trim behind the seats which holds the speakers rattles with heavy bass notes.

Archived