litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

S160 Oil Leak - from near Oil Cooler

Daveb99

My S160 has kindly developed an oil leak.....still it's pretty much the only issue I've experienced in over 3 years of ownership so far, so I can't grumble...

Being a WVTA S160 it has the oil cooler (unlike pretty much all other S1's). It's under the radiator, the leak seems to perhaps be coming from where the pipe attaches to the oil cooler, but I can't see it properly yet. It seems to be leaking quite a bit with the engine running (suspect because oil is being pumped through) but not much, if any, when stood with the engine off.

Does anyone know whether you can get to it from the wheel arch, if I remove the liner, or is it a front clam off job......?

Also, anyone know whether the joint itself can be replaced if required? Looking at deroure it seems to be a metal threaded connector/seal, not just a hose clip job.

Anyone had this problem?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Iain (Ninarin) had this problem on his 160, I think he replaced the entire hose and had the front clam off in the process. I'll text him and point him in your direction.

Thanks chaps. I've been out to check the tray and it seems to be minimal - tomorrow I'm going to see how much it leaks when ticking over. Then I'll decide whether to drive it to either Gav at Unit 4 or LegacyStorm in Leicester to get it sorted.

Unfortunately I don't really have the space in my single garage to start trying to diagnose and fix it, though I might jack it up and remove the wheel arch liner (and undertray maybe) to try and identify exactly where it's coming from.

Hi Dave, I had a problem with a leaky oil cooler hose a few years ago. It was only a small leak coming from the near side hose joint. I discovered it during changing the radiator which is a clam off job. The good news is that you can actually remove the under tray which covers the oil cooler (one with large vent holes in it) to get access to it. I found some previously enjoyed braided hoses a guy in France was selling along with a thermostatic valve. I fitted the braided hoses and valve at a later date which was relatively straight forward, just used the old hoses to pull some rope through the sill cavity in order to pull the new hoses through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Dave, I had a problem with a leaky oil cooler hose a few years ago. It was only a small leak coming from the near side hose joint. I discovered it during changing the radiator which is a clam off job. The good news is that you can actually remove the under tray which covers the oil cooler (one with large vent holes in it) to get access to it. I found some previously enjoyed braided hoses a guy in France was selling along with a thermostatic valve. I fitted the braided hoses and valve at a later date which was relatively straight forward, just used the old hoses to pull some rope through the sill cavity in order to pull the new hoses through.  

Thanks Iain, mine is leaking on the off side, I suspect it's the joint like yours.

According to the Deroure parts diagrams it looks like the pipes are one piece, which tallies with what you've said about pulling them through the sills. Pity because if there was a serviceable joint in front of the sills it would be so much easier....

Re the braided hoses that you sourced - it sounds like they were not the standard ones (as they are braided) - any idea where the seller got them from?

Hangar 111 sell the complete kit including a replacement oil cooler for £300, I really could do with not spending that much on getting this fixed - as it needs a B service as well...

If it does come to that though - i.e. if I can't source any replacement hoses - can you actually replace the oil cooler by just removing the undertray (and wheel arch liners I presume) or is it a clam off job?

My main issue is I can't really do this myself, due to a cramped single garage and sloping drive :-(

Thanks for your help with this - I remember you from the Hethel run last year, and LitP in 2014 too I think and your unique S160 of course!

I've attached the Deroure diagram in case others have any ideas on replacement hoses.d6baa20574023d6f1c28c5001396dd4f.jpg

Yes I remember talking to you at LitP, you hadn't had the car long had you?

No the braided hoses are not standard. I don't know where the chap got them from. I would imagine he just had them made, would be easy enough I would have thought.

He had originally put them on his car along with the stat as an upgrade for racing. He took them off along with the oil cooler in favour of a oil/water cooler for a overall lighter option.

You can take the cooler off without removing the clam yeah. You can see in the diagram above, the cooler is mounted on a bracket which is just bolted onto the crash structure. I can't remember if you have to take the arch liners out to get to the bolts or not.

Hi Dave, i know of a very good hydraulic place based in Coalville that can make up hoses. You would have to take yours off for a pattern though. 

That is if it needs complete hoses. You really need to find the actual source of the leak before worrying too much about replacing parts. The fitting may have just rattled loose?

If you are struggling give me a call and i am sure we can work something out.

• 2 weeks later...

Brief update, I've finally had a chance to get the wheel off and arch liner out (plastic Rawlnuts.....don't you just love 'em) and both of the oil cooler hoses, which are routed over the wheel arch liner, are quite perished.

The leak seems to be coming from the feed hose just before it vanishes out of sight through a hole to the oil cooler. If I didn't have a sloping drive and a bloody single garage I'd get the front under tray off to see the joint - but it isn't worth the aggro...

I'm getting it recovered to Jon Saunt (LegacyStorm) in Leicester on Weds. Jon can get the hoses made up no problem, so I'm hoping to have it back in time for the Shardlow meet a week Monday.....

A few pics...548c35166bdb58da366bfe92e15739d1.jpg0544621d36eff6f578ca9a3aa6930942.jpg678592aa9831ad8117bf5294642bde54.jpg8cb3837a01881af71a7fd871cdb019d4.jpg

Sounds like the best option Dave given your circumstances. Good job you spotted it early, all that hot oil spraying out in the vicinity of your front tyre and brake doesn't bear thinking about.

Archived