litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

New front grooved discs

richbk

So mloc friends I have decided to give in living with the constant chatter of my floating belled front discs. I bought them to improve braking on track days without having to upgrade to larger calipers etc. I noticed a slight improvement on the 2 track days I did on them, but nothing like the improvement that the ohlins made or dropping the cam change point. And I haven't seen a track since 2016 as days off are spent doing other stuff at the moment

the massive down side is the constant chatter I get in normal road driving. As our roads continue to deteriorate so the chatter has increased, so as cool as they look and as underused as they are I am going to swop back to standard grooved discs. 

What is the disc of choice at the moment ? Anyone got any good feedback or current good deals you know of ?

as ever any comments greatfully recieved and the floating bells will proberbly end in on the clsssified at some point of anyone's interested

rich

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

its not the calipers its the floating discs that are chattering, moving across the 12 spindles that allow the best and most effective breaking under heavy use, but the small amount of movement chatters on uneven roads/ potholes etc.

Have a chat with Dave @seriouslylotus , i am sure he will be able to sort you out. 

I used to get a lot of pad chatter on my S2, especially on the N/S front. Even with new buffers etc.

I used to have to apply extra buffers to stop it. But then it only worked for a while. So had to do the process every few months or so. 

Rich when you say moving across the 12 spindals? do you mean the bolts are loose?! they should be around at least 25m torqued up?

The discs shouldn't move on the ally centre.

Its prob due to them being slightly thinner than an oem disc so hence pad chatter.

1 hour ago, Phil S1 said:

Lol, I don't think anyone is listening to you Rich...DISCS everyone NOT pads.....

I was listening but don't know the answer ;-)

Not quite correct Phil ;) 

I mentioned speaking to Dave @seriouslylotus. He has the good selection of brake components and usually at the best price also. 

May not be the same issue. but Dr H have issues with some floating bells discs? 

This is why floating discs are only really used on race cars.  They will rattle when cold etc.  

I think you had the 4 pots on he front don't you?  The best options are the 308 grooved AP on fixed ally bells or the alcons for another £50.

Cheers guys.

i am using the original 2 pot calipers as they fit and have never faded on me, i just wanted more stopping power.

the problem is similar to leigh had / has and we are all at a loss (Gav included) on how to fix, i believe it is just a symptom of the "floating" nature of the discs as they aren't fixed to the bell but more suspended on the spindles that allow a small amount of lateral movement to make the most of the pressure applied slightly unevenly by the calliper/pads..........that almost sounds like i know what I'm talking about !!

If i could switched to fixed discs on these bells that would solve the problem, but i don't believe that is possible. They are the nitron developed system that i think eliseparts or seriously lotus bought the stock  / rights too.

I figure if Gav can't improve it for road use , it properly can't be fixed, as I believe its not a fault as such just what you get with this set up?

12 hours ago, chris_h said:

Yep pro's and con's with every upgrade!

Fully agree with this ;)

I went for 308 AP's on my S2 Exige along with CL6 pads. The brakes was amazing on a dry track using semi slicks. Never had any brake fade at all. 

Was a little too aggressive on a damp track though and felt like they lacked that required feel too get the braking right. (ABS used to kick in a lot). I put this down to the CL6 pads and was going to change to CL5+, but i sold the car. 

On the road they used to squeal so bad that i was sometimes embarrassed to press the brake pedal. For road use i feel this setup was just not really required.

Archived