litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Wales visit recommend roads and pubs

collieek

Going to have a few days in Wales looking for recommendation for some good roads and pubs with good food for overnight stay.

Is the evo triangle ok how about speed cameras.

Cheers

Paul

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pubs/Hotels Mid Wales:

The Cross Foxes Junction A487 and A470

Treffedian Hotel Aberdovey, Expensive but top notch

The Brigands Inn Dinas Mawddwy

Further North, Tyn-Y-Coed Hotel on the A5 as you approach Capel Curig

Elan Valley: Elan Valley Hotel, Rhayader.

I've stayed at all of the above so can recommend, there are loads of other places though, but lack of vacancies will be your biggest problem.

Pubs with good food available in most towns and villages although on some of the roads below they can be few and far between

Roads:

Welshpool to Bala, A490, A495, A490, B4391

Llanidloes to Machynlleth, B4518, turn left just after the village of Staylittle onto Forge Road and follow for 20 miles...One of the finest stretches of tarmac in the UK

Evo Triangle, A5, A453, B4501. Good route but overused (especially at the weekend) over policed (compared to lots of other roads in Wales)....just my opinion

Pentrefoelas to Ffestiniog, Turn off A5 onto B4407 to Ybysty Ifan and continue to follow, turn right onto B4391, follow to Ffestiniog.

Ffestiniog to Capel Curig, Take A470 out of Ffestiniog to Bethania, continue on A470 onto A5 at Betws-Y-coed, Follow A5 to Capel Curig.

At Capel Curig, You can turn left and follow the A4086 to Caernarfon vis Llanberris pass, or take a right and follow the A4 past Lyn Ogwen to Bethesda, both routes have fantastic views.

If you go to Bethesda be sure to make time and stop at zip world, it has the longest zip line in Europe and is fantastic fun but also the closest I've come to an involuntary bowel movement in the last 5 years.....:dogpile::o:lol::lol:

Hopefully your heading into Mid/North Wales, if so the above will keep you busy for a few days, if your going into South Wales let me know and I'll post up some routes. Finally, there are a few Mloc Wales run route in the archive on here if you don't fancy any of the above....

Hope this helps, have a great time:tup:

Hi Johnathan

That`s great thanks very much. 

We are going to mid Wales visiting brother in law in Shrewsbury first then heading west. 

We will be going mid week so hopefully it will not be as busy.

I will let you know how we get on.

Cheers

Archived