litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Advice on a 2001 VX220

JonS

Hi guys, some of you may remember me.... it's been a while since I've posted, measured in years!

Well, Big Beema ownership hasn't had as much family fun as I thought, so I'm looking to get back into a 2-seater rag top.

I can't afford a Lotus again unfortunately, else I'd jump straight back in! But I've found a 2001 VX220 for sale that looks ok on the outside, not a bad price, but need to go and take a look at it on the inside and take it for a drive.

I'm wondering though, it's done 60,000 ish, which isn't bad for a 16 year old car, but what do I need to look out for on VX's of that age - mechanically? I'm not very familiar with the 2.2 vauxhall engine, so any advice would be great. 

A VX isn't top of my list, but if its a good 'un I might go for it. :)

Cheers,

Jon

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jon good to hear from you and glad you're coming back :) I heard you'd sold the beemer and wondered if you were coming back.

I'm not fully knowledgable on the VX and other than the usual Elise checks I don't knowm much about the bits that differ (engine etc).

I have driven one, a completely standard car and a slightly modified one (chassis not engine). My main comment was the standard VX understeered awfully (more than the standard S2 with 175 tyres) and the brakes and ABS were horrid. The modified one with wider front tyres, Exige brakes and Nitrons felt just like an S2 chassis.

Send me a link to the car if you like and I'll forward it on to a friend who knows them well and may even know the car :)

Cheers Miles, hope you're doing alright. Not sold the beema just yet, but I'm working on it.

Well the VX was clearly a bargain! I went over to see it this afternoon and someone had driven down from Wales earlier today and bought it, having already found out its history through a forum! Less than £9k from a local Merc dealer. I was working on the basis that they didn't quite know what they had there. It was a bit worn on the inside, seats would need re-trimming, quite decent on the outside, needed referbed front alloys but generally it looked quite tidy.

I know there is the old saying that Lotus wouldn't build a car that was better than their own, but it is pretty much the only way I can get close to one. Ah well, win some loose some.

So it's back to the car that is top of my list for fun and VFM! Jap-style! :)

I had a 2.2 Lightning Yellow and Luke on here had a turbo.

The 2.2 is a great engine and is fairly bullet proof but it does have issues with the timing chain. Listen out for rattles on startup.  Had mine replaced as one morning it wasn't very happy.  

Other than that,  a new set of shocks as the rears started leaking, a rad and a header tank as their not uv stable so go brown and eventually crack.

Loved mine I have to say and due to insurance at that time ( I was only 20)  was a great stepping stone to a lotus.

Hi Jon, good to see you back on here. How about an MX5, I had the use for of a friends last summer for 3 months and found it to be a fantastic car, totally different experience to a VX/Elige but great fun and good ones can be had quite cheaply. 

You have to learn to ignore the "girls car" comments which isn't too difficult, after being labelled a male hairdresser of questionable gender for driving an S2 I found it quite refreshing :lol:.

MX5 is a modern day Elan, the Japons stole the design and improved it:rolleyes: looks nicer than a VX too.

Speak with Randy on Seloc. I believe he mentioned VX can be a little tired compare to the equivalent lotus.

For the Abs from the old cavalier, you can had a switch to disable it.

Thanks everyone. Good to see the old crew are still around (and I dont mean that in agist terms!) :lol:

I appreciate the offer Miles, but realistically I can't go anywhere near a Lotus for the moment. Whilst I can get into S1 territory, I can't afford to then keep it going. This will be my daily drive (80miles a day) and whilst I'd be more than up for it, my experience of keeping an old Lotus going tells me I'd be wiser to look elsewhere.

Which brings me onto the top of my list... as Jon E has pointed out - an MX5 is a pretty decent alternative for rag top, small car fun, bomb-proof, cost-effective, etc.

So I'm currently looking for the NC (3rd Gen) MX5, 2ltr Sport or Sport Tech. We'll see where it takes me, but unfortunately a Lotus requires a race team budget which I used up on the last one! ^_^

26 minutes ago, Laura said:

Welcome back Jon! I loved my MX-5 when I had it and it was so reliable, was a MK1 and I think it is still going strong even now.

Yours had a special add on it didn't it Laura, go on tell everyone about what you did to it...... ;):)

Jon, if you're thinking MX5 you might want to consider an S2000 as well?

13 hours ago, MilesH said:

Yours had a special add on it didn't it Laura, go on tell everyone about what you did to it...... ;):)

Jon, if you're thinking MX5 you might want to consider an S2000 as well?

Haha I should have known that was coming. Mine 'might' have had neons on it. They came on it, it was an import, blame the Japanese 😂😂

8 hours ago, Laura said:

Haha I should have known that was coming. Mine 'might' have had neons on it. They came on it, it was an import, blame the Japanese 😂😂

:lol:

I looked at S2000's Miles, but good ones were S2 money, so A I couldnt afford them and B i'd have gone for an S2 instead :)

RichBK just sold his, looked mint but sold within a few days.

hope you enjoy the hunt jon, its good fun.

my 2 peneth. from personal and a mate who is a serial car swopper.

his favourite of all the rag tops he has had, everything from mini, mg, bmw, audi and mx5 is that the mx5 was the best by far.

forget the hairdressers comments, the 2 ltr. is well sorted and does move, whilst still being a fun drive and bomb proof. 

he has just bought a last of the straight six boxter, and that is the only thing he rates above it, but it cost him 28k more!!

good hunting. 

my s2000 was great, but as you say prices are getting near lotus money, unless its a dog.

richbk

Jon, a few mates have had boosted mk1 and 2 MX5's and loved them. Very quick and nimble. Closest thing to a lotus without the price tag of an Elise or VX.

It would be my first choice for replacement of the exige if cost cutting was needed

Archived