litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

New Daily.....it's rapid ;)

Daveb99

It all happened in a week....  I was aware that they are somewhat of a Q car, but out of nowhere I suddenly decided to look a bit more closely at them.  Two back to back test drives (different cars) last Saturday and I was smitten....

I had to travel for this one though - South London.  Arrived home at 12.30am this morning.   A private sale but still under warranty, lots of options fitted and low miles.  

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very nice. They're an amazing little car, proper rocket. Foggy has one similar and I know he loves his. 

If it's anything like my rear drive BM, they can be a bit of a hand full in the wet!!

Picked mine up on 31st March, B58 M140i manual, 335bhp/369 ftlb.

We also have a 2016 520d Tourer and this feels just as quality but so much smoother. It has a lot of rear end grip considering the power.

Plan to leave it standard but have fitted the under body rear strut brace from the 3dr which stiffens up the rear end and makes it more planted and less sloppy when on the power. 

I went in looking at used cars on 27th, agreed a deal on the 28th for this new in stock car and was driving away in it on the 31st with my private plate fitted.

IMG_20170401_124647_zpsyuohmqrb.jpg

Glad both of your twos purchasing experience was so quick and painless. Took me weeks and weeks to find a dealer that could secure me a car and then I had to wait a couple of months for it to arrive. Nearly gave up hope with BMW and switched brand, but stuck with it and got there in the end!!

Thanks fellas......Kieran hahahaha yeah funnily enough those photos were actually before the wax came out......

Un1eash - looks like a lovely car - I'll happily upgrade to the newer M140i at some point based on my experiences of this car so far.....incredible all rounder. Where did you get the strut brace from? Was it easy to fit? I've seen it mentioned on other forums too and it's one of those things I think I'll be adding (together with an all-black grille). Other than that I'm planning to leave it stock.

I contacted cotswold BMW through the babybmw forum as they offer discount and ordered the parts from them, cost  £145 delivered but you don't really need the 4 plastic trim clips unless you break the old ones on removal. Local sytner quoted £165.

1 x 33326797099 Tension strut
1 x 33326793651 Pushrod left
1 x 33326793652 Pushrod right
2 x 33306861221 Torx bolt
4 x 51118174185 Expanding plastic rivet 
2 x 07147201307 White plastic parts

Very easy to fit, I ended up doing it on the driveway, didn't even need to jack the car up to get access and took about 1.5 hours. If you have access to a ramp would take half that time. 

Been for a blast tonight and would definitely recommend it, car feels more focussed now. 

I can't decide if the performance black grills would look right on alpine white with the silver wing mirrors and bumper fins. If I had any other colour I'd have fit them by now.

On 29/04/2017 at 00:25, Daveb99 said:

I still have it Leigh - but it's going soon, just need to advertise it etc.    If you're interested.....

Afraid not Dave. Changed my daily about 6 months ago.

Funnily enough went to see the friend with the M135 yesterday. They've changed it for an F-Type!

Afraid not Dave. Changed my daily about 6 months ago.
Funnily enough went to see the friend with the M135 yesterday. They've changed it for an F-Type!

No worries...

Hope it gets driven more than my next door neighbour's F-type. He's had it from new (2013), and done about 1000 miles I reckon!

You'd get on well with him then Leigh.... ;)

Speaking of Q cars and daily drivers, I bought a brand new Polo GTI last August after getting a bit fed up with my Corsa VXR daily driver.

Its Flash Red (what else :-) ) with a huge panoramic sunroof accompanied by gloss black surround, and decent sound system.  Ok, 189bhp from a 1.8-litre turbo motor might not sound much, but it also shoves out 236lb ft from just 1450 rpm!

I have to admit that the standard GTI seats (hmmmm, seats - my favourite moaning subject!!!) are pretty crap with poor support and poor damping, sooooooooo, I bought and fitted a pair of (wait for it.....) Recaro Sportster CS seats - yay - and........ wow, what a transformation.  So, now, rather than feeling like I'm perched on the car (old seats), I now feel like an integral part of the car and able to really feel everything that its doing (new seats).  That, coupled with flat, grippy cornering, a zingy turbine smooth engine with loads of low down grunt that still loves to be revved out, a slick gearbox, and perfect pedal spacing for heel-and-toe shifts, means that for me, this is the perfect daily excitement (erm, daily driver I mean) that is also descrete enough to qualify as a Q car (the GTI badging is reasonably descrete too - ha).

Yep, at long last, VW is making damn good cars again!

I have been thinking VW too - but the apalling way they fiddled the emmission figures has destroyed any confidence I may have had - not only in the product but also in the corporate mentality, that and the refusal to compensate European owners means they are very much on my blacklist - VW motto seems to be "screw the environment, then screw customers"

On 02/05/2017 at 15:15, rocketian said:

I have been thinking VW too - but the apalling way they fiddled the emmission figures has destroyed any confidence I may have had - not only in the product but also in the corporate mentality, that and the refusal to compensate European owners means they are very much on my blacklist - VW motto seems to be "screw the environment, then screw customers"

I wouldn't let a few dodgy diesel fuel figures cloud your thinking.  No-one should be buying sh1tty diesels any more anyway.

On individual merit, VW's petrol engined performance cars are now brilliant, and setting the standards by which all other (hot hatches) are measured.

Archived