litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Evora N/A vs S

BigTed234

Apologies if this has already been discussed, but I couldn't find anything via search... Anyway, MLOC was very helpful when I bought my Elise over 10 years ago (which has been my daily ever since!), but I'm now in the market for an Evora and can't decide between the N/A and S from around 2011/12.

So what's the general consensus? Will I miss the performance if I go for the N/A? What about the running costs - is the difference just tax and tyres? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

• BigTed234 changed the title to Evora N/A vs S
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The N/A will be a big step up in performance from a 111S, plenty of power for a road car IMO. My experience is only based on passenger rides in both, I'm sure Evora owners will be along with opinions based more on experience :)

Just got my evora. Has an ELISE s1 before the exige s2 NA.

Where the exige always needed thrashing (and therefore was always close to the legal speed limit) the Evora seems quicker most of the time at more modest speeds. I don't miss the exige (yet).

If I could afford an evora S then I'd be looking at an exige v6 first. But that's just my view.

Anyway. One week into happy ownership, I think an NA evora has more than enough power for me at the moment for on the road. On track I can't yet say.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Personally I think you would be more than suited with the N/A version. After 13 years with what ended up as a 170BHP S1 Elise I changed to a N/A Evora a few months back and I'm certainly not missing the performance, quite the opposite in fact. The first time I floored it I needed to have my brain recalibrated :) The N/As are certainly cheaper to run as you say, the tyres are significantly less provided you're running the 18/19 inch wheels (mine's on 19/20 so no saving there for me), tax is less and I presume the servicing, insurance and mpg will all be for the better too. The only thing I miss is the soft top. I guess if you were to take it on track regularly then maybe you'd want to opt for the S but that being the case then you'd probably be better of with an Exige S anyway.

have a look on www.thelotusforums.com.....lots and lots about the Evora.....

I couldnt tell the difference between the NA and the S.........maybe Im not trying hard enough but with the performance stats virtually the same Id say go with you budget, whatever that is.....

if you want more power you can add it later......IIRC they'll tune the NA past 400bhp if you want....
Komotec and others........load of options for exhausts...CAI....etc etc

just a couple of thoughts :)

Actually from my reading, there are lots of tuning options for the S but almost none of any magnitude for the NA.

I look forward to having this wrong though.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Looks like popular opinion is that the N/A is plenty fast enough - I was a bit scared it wouldn't feel much quicker than my 111S. However, I'll be keeping the car for quite a while and I don't really do that many miles so I think I'll hold out for an S. Not much available at the moment but if anyone is selling up let me know. Thanks!

It all depends on what you want out of your Evora.  The N/A V6 suits the car to perfection (in my ultra biased opinion - ha) and does everything you'd from a beautifully honed GT sports car.  Sure, it doesn't accelerate as quickly as an S, but blimey, it DOES accelerate and has that lovely, natural elasticity to its torque delivery that you'll never get tired of.  And the V6 does give you goose bumps with a gorgeous mix of harmonics and more than enough volume thanks to that "Sport" button.

The N/A is also considerably more real-world fuel efficient than the S (despite how close they may look on paper), and, as for the 400 - forget it - I've driven it and its horrid.  Ruined in the pursuit of unnecessarily chasing higher power-to-weight headlines to make it attractive for lardy US buyers.  Saving a few kilos by swapping the world's best seats (Recaros) for the world's most average seats (Sparcos) was one of Lotus's BIGGEST blunders in recent years.

Anyway, rant over, I now like to offer this assertion: That the N/A Sports Racer is the finest version of the Evora that Lotus has ever produced - thank you Lotus!!

Archived