litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Lotus Elise Front Respray

louis919

Pls Help!

My elise respray in April 2016 - Just the front bumper section due to kerb damage.

Use smart repair, but the result was very bad.

Then, I took it to City Centre Care Care Centre in Birmingham, which is a Lotus Approval Body Shop.

They did the repair and respray in a good standard. Happy.

One year later, April 2107. On a good sunny day have a car wash. I discover a big bubble, size about two of one pound coin side by side each other.

Take it down to the body shop, they do not admit the liability.

Anyone can help?

IMG_2307.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quite a common problem with Elise's

I think it's going to be one you have to take on the chin as the moisture that's caused it might have been in the fibre glass before you had the work done, therefore making it near impossible to prove that it's the body shops fault.

thank you for your reply. According to your reply, the moisture trap in the fibre glass before the respray work. What can I do now, pls advice? Have I to paid the body shop again and re-do the front section respray?

Thank you very much for your time.

It's true that Elises can suffer more than most cars with osmosis bubbles (water under the paint) but that's a monster bubble, much bigger than normal osmosis damage. I think that's a problem with poor paint adhesion due to insufficient preparation. Proving anything though would be very difficult - you could go to some other paint shops for their professional opinions and then approach the people who did the work again. Maybe some sort of compromise cost sharing could be achieved?

• 1 month later...

Many thanks for the kind advice. The body shop ask for another £800 + vat to get the problem fix. Should I go for it? Or get another body shop with better knowledge?

Really tricky.  I had the sills resprayed on my S2 and a large area of paint came off.  It went back and they,with reluctance painted one sill again, to a sloppy standard. I drove the car home (about 15 miles) and the sill was already covered in small chips.  I have just bitten the bullet and its booked into a different shop to be done again.

Good body shops are rare.  When I needed the mirrors painted for my mustard yellow Exige i was quite surprised that the shop painted them green, they also looked startled when I refused to pay until they did them again.

Price us about right, I am paying £1100 for the front and two sills yo be repainted.  No damage on them, just chips.

I wouldn't pay them to do it again. You could try and force them in to doing it again for free - solicitors letters threatening to sue and so on (no guarantee of success but it might work) or go somewhere else. 

Option One have a very good reputation for painting Lotuses but I'm told are quite dear. I had mine resprayed last year at Edmonds Auto Refinishing in Burton who did a nice job at a decent price.  One piece of advice I would give though - whoever you use - is to try and avoid driving the car for at least a month after the paint goes on to allow it time to properly harden off. If you don't you will get lots of little stone chips.

Archived