litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Captive Nut Repair S1 Elise

whizzo944

Hello All,

Searched for this and I'm amazed I didn't find anything.  Just removed my front clamshell on S1 Elise, usual problems with bolts siezed and/or spinning.

I need to repair the nuts in the sills AND the two at the bottom of the windscreen. It's not a problem repairing them, it's just I don't know how the hell to get to them?

All help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are a few ways to tackle the ones in the sill. My preferred method is to cut "inspection holes" at the front of the sill, this then allows access to the spinning nut which can be gripped with mole grips/cut off or similar allowing removal, and because you now have a route into the sill you can use whatever fixing you prefer to reattach the clam. You can patch the "inspection hole" or use a large grommet, either way it will be covered by the arch liner when you replace it.............Hope that makes sense? There are other options and I'm sure someone will be along to explain how to do the ones at the bottom of the windscreen.

Hi Dave

Make sure the rivnuts are tight into the hole, if not you can buy the next size up i.e M5 to M6 this will help to stop them spinning in the future when the threads deteriorate and become stiff. Use plenty of anti-seize as well.

To save a future headache, remove the bolts every year or two and re apply the anti seize as when they do seize it usually results in fibreglass damage, the only way to remove them is by drilling and this usually tears the fibreglass, then you need the next size up again, ..... again :) 

:)

Hello All,

Went to Screwfix and bought a Rivnut kit, their rivnuts are hexagonal on the outside so I filed the holes hex and they worked brilliantly. Thanks for the help people.

Dave.

Archived