litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Paint Blistering

massakk

Hi all!!

Firstly, it's soooo faaaaab to be here with all my fellow lotus fans...it took me a whopping 14years to get my baby..and it's my dream car!!

Okay a little question please ladies and gents!!

Now I've been reading about this problem which I'm aware is quite common!! Back early in January we had quite a severe frost and I noticed on my drivers door that the paint work had blistered and then flaked off!! Now the undercoat and door are totally unaffected!!

Now as a former vx220 owner, I'm aware that moisture builds in the fibreglass, expands from the cold and then causes the bubbling of the paint!!

Since this problem I did touch up with some touch up paint but it looks not quite as good as it should!! These areas are very small, but here's the thing..Ive been emailing and contacting some body shops and these mobile car body repair firms and they either huff and puff and say the whole door needs doing, quoting ridiculous amounts of money, or sating that they can't help in any way!!

I soooo really am getting frustrated here guys!! I just need the areas affected, repaired...not the whole door as this seems over the top for just such small areas that need repaired!! I live in surrey and I would be so so so grateful if someone here knows of anywhere that can help or guide me to the right places!! I know it's going to cost...but I just don't think its viable to pay silly sums of money when I just need very small areas to be repaired!! I have an Elise s2 02 reg. massive thanks you guys it's really appreciated!!!!

post-6023-0-17923700-1490468744_thumb.jpg

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Paint shops like to paint up to a panel join, crease or seam in the panel as it hides the join where the paint colours will be slightly different. They will not spray patches. These days there are body shops that are similar prices to mobile repairs and can do the job in the warm and dry.

I had a 2003 111s that the paint bubbled on so badly that I fell out with Lotus big time. The car was only 3 months old and pretty much every panel was affected, some worse than others, micro blisters being the best, paint falling off in 50p size chunks the worst. Lotus field technician told me that the paint didn't come under the guarantee blink.png after several legal letters and the intervention of Neil Turner at Lotus things were finally put right. This involved both doors being stripped and baked, front and rear clam stripped and repainted along with both access panels. Two months later it all started to blister again although to a lesser degree. I ended up in a 111r unsure.png .

The thing with paint blisters is that some body shops know what causes them and how to sort them, on the other hand if you pick one that doesn't you'll probably end up with the same problem in the future.

In my experience its a bigger problem on S2's than S1's and paint colour seems to be something of an issue too..........What colour is your car? looks blue in the pic.

I agree with a7esk, speak to Frank at Option 1 (Bromsgrove).  He will re paint the panels for you and give you a guarantee for as long as you own the car - I think he quoted me £600 a door a few tears back.

bit of a Freudian slip there. I should have said "...a few years back." - but "tears" is quite appropriate too.

Archived