Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Dab Aerial Cabling

nickashton

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 months later...

Just wondering if any one with an Elise without an external aerial has fitted a DAB, I was looking to go for the internal window one but was wondering how I ground it as I presume the A pillars are Aluminium. 

I fitted a windscreen DAB aerial in my S1, and the same thing is fitted in the V6 I have now. From memory I ran a second ground wire from the aerial down to somewhere under the dash.

I've had superb reception with both - and I can see there's a second cable coming down from the windscreen aerial in the V6 too so I presume the installer went a similar route. Highly recommended..

I have a totally different solution.  I have installed a BT receiver (Alpine) and use my phone to get the radio, same as my music feed from Spotify and others.  I have a DAB system and aerial but the phone over the internet works much better.

On 09/11/2017 at 21:38, winthattt said:

I have a totally different solution.  I have installed a BT receiver (Alpine) and use my phone to get the radio, same as my music feed from Spotify and others.  I have a DAB system and aerial but the phone over the internet works much better.

That's certainly another way - but what happens when your mobile data signal drops out in areas with no coverage?

1 hour ago, Daveb99 said:

That's certainly another way - but what happens when your mobile data signal drops out in areas with no coverage?

It's more reliable than my Dab or Fm reception, which says something for how bad they are.  When it drops it it is just a pause/gap in the programme. Mobile data coverage is not too bad.  For music from a streaming service it caches ahead so drop outs can be handled.

The dabonwheels aeriel fitted to my car works perfectly well. Well worth doing for less than sixty quid! Worth mentioning I have a Sony DAB radio which works well. More than happy for anyone to come over to Congleton to look at the install. Nick

I would have been happy with the stick on job but just couldn't get it to work very well. I struggle to get a mobile phone signal here let alone 3/4G for streaming so that was a non starter, although downloaded playlists on Spotify stream happily enough. The fact I can pick up most dab stations even when I'm out in the middle of Wales is testament to the quality of the DAB on wheels offering.

Having said all that I listen to music in the Elise less and less these days but its there if I need it, like being stuck for 4 hours on the M20:rolleyes:

I fitted a pioneer DAB in my S3 Elise which does not have an exterior aerial. So fitted a pioneer amplified internal window aerial and routed it behind the steering wheel to the drivers side of the windscreen. Works brilliantly. No need for earthing etc 

Archived