litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Dab Aerial Cabling

nickashton

Hi,

I have bought a DAB aerial from DAB on wheels. I am struggling to identify the best route for passing both DAB and fm cables from the engine bay to the head unit. I have looked at lifting the centre console but I am now struggling finding a suitable route through to the engine bay. Would I have to remove the passenger seat?

Any suggestions greatly received.

Many thanks

Nick

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Remove the A post trim no 4 on this scetch of parts.

http://www.deroure.com/diagrams.asp?TBL=1357&MAK=1&MDL=14&SMA=0&SMO=0&ST=&SC=0

That will let you get the cable to the front of the sill. You then need to pull the cable through the sill from the back, try using electricians cable rods push through from the back wheel arch to the front ( you are trying to pull the cable back through the sill parallel with the aluminium coolant pipe. ) as I said not easy but can be done, they manage to pull oil lines through for fitting oil coolers at the front of the car.

Good luck, If you have problems you can hand it over to Gav :-)

Run it down the center tunnel following the route of the handbrake cable. Very straight forward and just need to remove a couple of undertrays. You can use your existing fm/am connection so only need to run the dab. It makes life easier if you remove the seats but you should be able to do it with them in situ. Use the inner from a bicycle brake cable to thread through the floor into the engine bay.

Hth

Jon

• 1 month later...

A quick update. I followed Jon's advice and ran the DAB cable through the tunnel into the engine bay. Cable all secured and tight in situ within the tunnel. I also used aluminium tape on the underside of the engine cover to give the aerial a better chance. Glad to report that I have perfect DAB signal without signal loss. The aerial I bought was from Dabonwheels. Cost £45. Thanks for the advice Jon. 

Similar discussions seen on the The Lotus Forums.  Why not make life so much easier and use what you have already plus this or similar:

https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/autoleads-pc6-536-car-radio-stereo-headunits-digital-dab-aerial-antenna-splitter.html

If you're replacing the head unit anyway, your're already 9/10ths the way to this alternative.

4 hours ago, pa28pilot said: