litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Ultimax Turbo Discs And Yellow Stud Pads ?

jako999

Hi it's the time for new discs and pads so do I go ebc ultimax turb discs and yellow stuff pads around at £420 or standard Pagid all round at £225 from euro car parts.The car is 95% Road use and 5% hill climb sprint will they be £200 better?

Or should I look at something else? I have found the standard brakes not to bad up till the last few miles and that's because they are pretty shot.

Thanks for any advice.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know some will say otherwise but I always found the standard Pagid discs fine with their RS4-2 pads all round on my S1, I was never last of the late brakers though smile.png

I agree the Pagid RS 42 pads are excellent for your usage.

I would say definitely do not get the Pagid discs from Euro Car Parts - I had some and they were made of cheese. Awful - the fronts lasted for one track day.

The plain discs that Gav at Unit 4 in Burton supplies are much better - I have these now and will buy them again. I doubt very much that Ultimax Turbo Nutter Bastard discs would be any better. Gav's discs are about £100 a pair, the RS 42 pads are probably about £150 an axle but are worth it, pads with a higher coefficient of friction make much more difference than discs to stopping power, feel, fade resistance etc.

Another pad to consider is the CL RC5+ but there are documented cases of them breaking up in the calipers which puts some people off (not me, I've never had trouble with them and really rate them).

I'm no expert but Yellow Stuff aren't that popular with Lotus owners, I'm not sure if that's unfair or because they really aren't as good as the competition.

If I were you I would probably look at the RS42s as Phil says.

Hope that helps!

I've got the ebc grooved discs on my 111r with standard Ferodo pads (shock horror no fancy pads on an Elise!)

I pedal as hard as anyone else on the road and couldn't be happier with them. Never suffered fade and feel is great.

I honestly think unless you're doing circuit work anything more than good quality standard pads is a waste of money. Speaking to Ollie at Phoenix I think he's of the same opinion too..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got the ebc grooved discs on my 111r with standard Ferodo pads (shock horror no fancy pads on an Elise!)

I pedal as hard as anyone else on the road and couldn't be happier with them. Never suffered fade and feel is great.

I honestly think unless you're doing circuit work anything more than good quality standard pads is a waste of money. Speaking to Ollie at Phoenix I think he's of the same opinion too..

I can't argue with that!

The main problem I had with standard pads was they lacked initial bite but that may be less of an issue with cars such as yours that have a brake servo. I agree that fade will never be a problem on the road even on supercharged models. I would also point out that track - biased pads always involve some compromise(s) for road use such as noise, dust, pad rattle, higher pad and disc wear etc. Plus cost of course.

If you do do track work though standard pads will fade and the pedal will feel mushy and inconsistent.

Just for the record as Martin asked me offline which Ferodo pads I was using and the refs are FDB1282 for the fronts & FDB1560 for the rears.

Thomas are you sure the discs are making a difference, and that it isn't just the pad material?

Also, in my experience new pads are always better than old pads of the same type

Thomas are you sure the discs are making a difference, and that it isn't just the pad material?

Also, in my experience new pads are always better than old pads of the same type

Sorry for late reply Dean. I can't confirm whether it is pad material or disk because changed them both at the same time. It just feels better than what was already on the car.

Got my disks/pads from Elise Parts.

After lots of looking around I have gone for the Ultimax turbo and yellow stuff mainly because I couldn't believe the price from Elise parts just over £400 for a full set of 4. I will fit them in a few weeks as doing a sprint next week end so won't have time to run them in.

Thanks for all your help I will let you know how I get on with them.

I have had a look at these on the Eliseparts website. I can see why you went for the discs - they aren't dear and the grooves are probably a good idea. I'm not so keen on the black but if it stops the unswept area from rusting that's a major plus.

I also think the yellowstuff must be worth a try at that money.

Good luck!

I have had a look at these on the Eliseparts website. I can see why you went for the discs - they aren't dear and the grooves are probably a good idea. I'm not so keen on the black but if it stops the unswept area from rusting that's a major plus.

I also think the yellowstuff must be worth a try at that money.

Good luck!

The black coating comes off once used and leaves a great looking disk. Coating is just for the protection of rust in the vents and on the rim of the disk.

Archived