litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Tow Cars...

Simon Mac

With track season starting, and a new years resolution to do more track days, I've decided to get rid of my longstanding Kia Sedona (used as a tip runner / MTB hauler/ DIY trip wagon) and buy something better suited to towing.

Ideally I'd like to get a covered trailer like the Brian James Sport, which means a 2600kg minimum tow capacity.

My thinking here is I can get a bit of variety over the next few years without the pain of taxing/sorning/mot'ing track optimised cars, whilst also acting like a storage space for the car.

Budget is in the £5k range for the tow vehicle, probably the same again for the trailer.

So far I've looked at a Disco 2, a Grand Cherokee, and tomorrow's viewing is a Land Cruiser (Colorado). Also on the list to check are Patrols and full size Land Cruisers (Amazons).

I've had 2 Navara's in the past, and while both were great cars (esp. the V6), I've done the double cab thing now, and fancy a change.

Defenders are out, overpriced or rotten, and I've the bruises on my elbows to prove I don't fit in one.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You seem to be looking at some big metal.

What about an Audi A6 3.0tdi,or a Saab 95, or a 530d, or a vw passet estate, or a mondeo estate.......

All will easily pull a trailer, some for a few k less than 5k - which means more track days.

You are towing to a track not a rally stage

Richbk

You seem to be looking at some big metal.

What about an Audi A6 3.0tdi,or a Saab 95, or a 530d, or a vw passet estate, or a mondeo estate.......

All will easily pull a trailer, some for a few k less than 5k - which means more track days.

You are towing to a track not a rally stage

Richbk

Unfortunately the V6 is a bit portly, possibly due to me fitting subwoofers :D:P

More seriously the Kia has enough capacity for a light open trailer, the trouble is coming with the closed stuff, I guess I could down plate one on the basis the car is going to be light. The Race Sprint may also work, being a bit lighter... Does an Exige fit in one of those?

Old shape Kia Sorento?,

Former 'tow car of the year', owned by many a happy caravanner! 

The diesel is a decent motor, build quality is good, generally reliable (assuming someone replaced the fuel tank already)

I currently have a 53 plate Grand Jeep Cherokee for towing. I previously had a Land Rover Freelander and then a Ford Kuga.

The Freeelander was awful in comparison and I wouldn't recommend. It just always felt like it was stretching it too much. The Kuga was ok (but a lot more than £5k), the wife loved it as it had all the toys and was only 4 years old, but I couldn't justify having that much money in a tow car and I never felt like I could just throw things in the back as it might wreck it.

The Jeep in terms of towing is the best of the three. I love it. It's a 2.7 CRD auto. It's like a big tonka toy and pulls and pulls - still gets me 30mpg when towing which is pretty good. They also have a lot of toys as standard. I got a 53 plate for less than £2k so I'm assuming you can get a much earlier model for your £5k.

I looked at a Land Cruiser but it was too big for the space we have, and I was advised the mpg was worse (not that you buy any of these for decent mpg lol). The Discos seemed to have a price tag for the brand and the early ones just seem to rot.

Miles, thanks for the feedback.

I've been doing a lot of research on the various options, and the Grand Cherokee keeps coming up trumps for me.  The Land Cruisers / Patrols all seem great but their seems to be a "scene tax". I have no doubt they are good, and will last a long time, but like you I'm after something that I don't care about too much.

(My Sedona has enlightened me to the world of cars that are cheap enough to abuse, and it's perversely enjoyable smile.png )

TBH this is also applying to track cars, hence looking for a tow vehicle in the first place. Driving the Exige on track is fun, but there's always the little voice in your ear reminding you how much it cost, and you need it in one piece to get home.

So:

Step 1 = buy decent tow car.

Step 2 = trailer,

Step 3 = track focused Elise

I would 100% decide on what you are going to be towing first.

Last thing you want to do is get your tow vehicle then find out it isn't fit for purpose.

I have been towing for many years (i am sure plenty of you have as well) as i used to be one of them towing a caravan. From light weight single axles to the largest twin axles.

One very important fact to always remember is to make sure your tow vehicle is rated to tow the weight you need. It isn't about what you think you can pull, but more importantly can you stop and be stable.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

@AlanS1

Sound advice, though I can be somewhat rash on occasion blush.png

On a whim I picked up a Disco 2 at the local auction for half book price. Amazingly everything works, it drives well, 11 months MOT, had main dealer service history in the glovebox, the H/L selector was stiff from non-use (but works now I've freed it up)...

Now to find a trailer!

(And resist the new urge I've found to throw on a lift kit, silly tyres, winch bumpers, etc. etc.)

I'm hoping so Miles!

It's an 02 plate, 103k miles.  Not sure the exact model, but it seems fairly well specced for a car of that era. Metallic green, seven partial leather seats (heated fronts), multi-player CD, steering wheel controls, heated front screen, rear audio controls.

It doesn't have the active levelling suspension (a plus in my mind for a car that old), or centre diff lock.

Chassis seems reasonable from the prodding I did on it, drives straight (albeit slowly compared to what I'm used to ;)). Still has the original jack, manuals, wallet etc.  I _think_ it's a pretty straight car. My only mild concern is how much towing it's done as I think it was owned by a company before. 

My best guess it was a trade-in, and they just threw it down the auction because it's too old to sit on a dealer forecourt (it was being sold by Pendragon).

TBH What I paid for it I still have some in the kitty for repairs, and if it does go pop next week it was cheap enough to chalk it up to experience.

You shouldn't have any issues towing what ever you want with one of them? 

From memory i think they can tow around 3500kg? 

So what trailer have you bought ;) ?

What track only car have you got or are looking into getting?

Alan yep 3.5t tow rated, which is why they were so popular with plant operators ;) (though my understanding is there is something of a crackdown on requirement of needing to have a tacho fitted if used for business.)

I haven't bought a trailer yet, but thinking along the lines of either the Brian James Sprint or Race Sport. The latter seems more flexible with the side doors. 

In terms of car, I'm torn. An early-ish Elise is a definite option, as are the lower power Caterfields, at least to start with. 

Archived