litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Introductions / S1 Exige Wanted

111EXG

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I looked at an NA Honda Exige before I bought my S2 SC Honda Elise. It was a fast car but didn’t really do it for me, and I think it was the conversion. However reliable and fast it may be it didn’t have the character of the NA k-series.

But my 340R was a much more special car than my S2 Honda. Yes partly because of the handling and bonkers looks but a lot of it was the VHPD engine. At tick over it was grumpy and characterful and at 7k+rpm it sounded sublime cool.png

It's also worth remembering that a totally original S1 Exige will drive like a pig. How the hell the original map on the ECU every made it to production and through type approval I have no idea. They run rich, they kangaroo at low revs and don’t produce the power Lotus claimed (same as the 340R). Emerald ECU and verniers I fitted transformed my 304R. All the character but totally driveable at low speeds, pulled cleanly from 30mph in top and a great power curve – made 198hp on Emeralds rollers.

Thanks for all the constructive comments, advice and opinions so far, much appreciated. I've reworded my first post a little, just to clarify what I'm looking for.

I personally believe my budget is fair for my requirements and certainly don't expect it to get me an immaculate/fully restored, low mileage car, with a fully stamped Lotus history etc. I guess time will tell!

Out of curiosity, how many cars have actually achieved sale prices in excess of £30k.....? In the past couple of years I've not seen many advertised for sale on the open maket, particularly above that level and they didn't necessarily achieve their asking price! Presumably most S1 Exige sales have been undertaken privately between owners club members? Either way, as long as I can personally justify the price, I'm willing to pay whatever fair market value dictates at the time :)

Thanks for all the constructive comments, advice and opinions so far, much appreciated. I've reworded my first post a little, just to clarify what I'm looking for.

I personally believe my budget is fair for my requirements and certainly don't expect it to get me an immaculate/fully restored, low mileage car, with a fully stamped Lotus history etc. I guess time will tell!

I think you're hoping rather than believing :)

You're above comment is your only chance at that money but be very careful that you buy something for £30k and have to spend £3-5k plus sorting it. My guess and from the recent S1 taken off the market is £35k plus all day long and before you know it they'll be £50k. I'd have no problem buying one again at £35k plus and wouldn't be worried in the slightest as to where the market is going and when it goes it will go fast.....UP!

Just stop worrying about values, find one at a price you feel comfortable and buy it!

Stop talking up all these prices! Since I sold my 340r...........

Hehe yes I reckon your 340R would be worth £50k now Leigh

Still can't believe there is a Sport 160 up at £29k currently as well. Madness - but in a good way.

Welcome Kev and the best of luck in your search for what I consider to be the best model that Lotus has ever produced, after 15 years of ownership it still gives me the same buzz as the first day I drove it smile.png

Prices are affected by the current barmy market but also availability as the biggest problem is that the majority of S1 Exige owners have them as keepers. This and as there are only circa 200? left on UK roads means that will always be a shortage for sale.

It's not only that, but those that are sold are frequently shipped overseas due to the stronger euro - mine went to France a few years back (for £20k!) and I'm sure others have too.

Don't forget to (try) and join Exiges.com if you haven't, worth keeping an eye on that too....but judging by the amount of "Wanted: S1 Exige" adverts, you're in for some competition!

Welcome - there's a cracking article in this month's CAR magazine, comparing the Exige Sport 380 with many of the significant Lotii from the beginnings of time (starting with Guy Munday's S3 Seven).

Amy (one of the featured owners) has provided her S1 Exige (with HPD K-Series engine) that she's owned for 12 years.  There's a chuck away line that says she'd ask 35 grand for it to sell.  It is original and bloody immaculate, so might be worth investigating?

It's also worth remembering that a totally original S1 Exige will drive like a pig. How the hell the original map on the ECU every made it to production and through type approval I have no idea. They run rich, they kangaroo at low revs and don’t produce the power Lotus claimed (same as the 340R). Emerald ECU and verniers I fitted transformed my 304R. All the character but totally driveable at low speeds, pulled cleanly from 30mph in top and a great power curve – made 198hp on Emeralds rollers.

Based on my VHPD Exige I would have agreed with you. It was so bad I considered it dangerous. I then had verniers fitted and a new lambda probe and it is a changed machine, just like you say for your 340. Mine was running rich because the lambda probe was dead so it just went into limp home mode. For my car, it's now no worse then my old 118bhp Elise. It's not as smooth as a Toyota engine but in no way is it bad.

Would I live with it as an everyday car, no, but I would not live with an S2 Elise either, can't hear radio 4 or 6.

It already sold Eric, close to asking I believe.

It did sell.... Was lovely... Needed a paint in places as it had a few micro blisters, but that's me being picky

Blimey, do you guys have grape vines growing on the car sales grape vine smile.png ?

• 4 months later...

I've been looking forward to Lotus ownership for some time now, but still not having much success with my search! Please PM me if you are thinking of selling your S1 Exige or know of any others coming up for sale. Cheers, Kevin :)

Archived