litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Great Driving Roads- Uae

kayj_prod

Last weekend I took a little trip up to the highest point in the UAE, Jebel Jais, on recommendation that the brand new road up there is quite something. It didn't disappoint, and it would be fantastic in something lower and lighter than the Ford Edge I have here. Having said that, going up there in the morning, before it got busy, meant that I could enjoy a 'progressive' drive. At the moment, the road literally goes nowhere, just to a turning/parking spot at the current end point. Work continues up to the peak though and I would imagine will go down the other side to Oman eventually. I need to bring my walking boots (and more water) next time to take a hike further up.

post-3273-0-62827100-1481350308_thumb.jpg

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Road looks good, I remember visiting Jabel Haffet many years ago in a Yota land cruiser can't recall the name of the place we stayed at but it really was a fantastic building, all built in marble which was a very nice place to cool off...Things have moved on in the UAE since I was there, Abu Dhabi is so much bigger these days....and the heat!!!!wacko.png

The road is 3 lanes wide  wide all the way up and an even width, and because it doesn't go anywhere, no trucks. (Quite different to Norwegian mountain roads.) There are concrete barriers all the way, but little run off, so at least if you made a mistake you'd stay at the right altitude.

I'm way up in the north, Jonathan. Relatively quiet up here! I was fortunate to be given a ticket to the grand prix two weeks ago so made the trip down to Abu Dhabi. So much development all the way down it seems, although a closer look reveals projects which have been started and then never finished. Ah yes the heat... have to say its lovely now, but August was hard work!

Archived