litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Chassis Refresh

MattyB

So my S2 is well overdue for a minor refresh - standard Bilstein's + bushes are on 70k, and as the rest of the car is in great shape, it's just needs the most important aspect sorting.

I was planning to do this myself, using an EP Chassis Refresh kit and some Nitron Street series, but after a conversation with TGA, I'm not sure its worth my time. They've quoted a reasonable price for the labour cost of of a full rebush, given that it'll probably take me 2-3 months messing in a single garage to do it myself, plus I need to invest in some tools to get the job done.

I've read the guides on here, but it largely seems to have been done by people with big garages and a selection of suitable tools ;) so my question is this:

1. How viable is it, in a single garage? I can get probably 2, maybe 2.5 feet workspace on one side (I'd have to flip the car to do the other).

2. I can do basic car things (general service bits, basic part replacement) but using the old Haynes difficulty guides, I'm probably a 3-spanner man at most.

3. How far down the rabbit hole do I go? Is just replacing the bushes + dampers/springs enough? I don't want to get stuck in the whole "While I'm here I may as well...." angle, I did this with my old Alfa and ended up with a five-figure bill and near enough a new engine bay....

Anyone want to chime in? It's December already, I want to be back on the road by March! :D

(I think the main thing to come from this is that I need a new house with a double garage. And a 4 point lift.)

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would think it'd be possible to do it yourself with a couple of feet of workspace, so long as you have room to get it jacked up and well supported in the first place. Don't know what TGA are quoting you but if you want to keep it simple and do just the bushes and suspension then it may be best to let them do it for you. Having said that, it may well depend on what state your wishbones are in. If they're looking a bit corroded then I'd be inclined to have a go yourself, once you have got the bushes out you could then rub the wishbones down and repaint them or there's only the balljoint to remove and you could then go the whole hog and get them stripped and re-passivated, but then you might opt to fit new balljoints too so the bill keeps creeping up. As you say there are a few tools you'd need to buy or borrow but if it was me I'd give it a go yourself.

I have a ball joint removal tool and a bush removal tool if you wanted to borrow them, bit of a way to come for them though, they are not that expensive to buy, The only problem I had was getting the wishbone bushes to seat all the way into their bores, they wanted to go another 0.5mm or so but it felt like I was going to damage them trying, works fine though.

I've done the suspension on my last three Elises, and I don't even have a garage, up side is loads of room to work around the car down side is its ferking freezing. My method has been to jack the car up and support it on boxes of paper or high density foam blocks, get everything stripped off as and when time allows then retreat to the shed/kitchen to clean up remove/replace bushes, paint wishbones etc. Then back outside weather dependant to start putting stuff back on the car, I'm getting quite good at it. Having said all that I would think Martin would do you a good deal in regards to a refresh so its really up to you and what you can afford or how much you want to do yourself.

You can borrow my foam blocks if it helps, I also have a few tins of pot 15 going begging if you want them....

The choice is yours!!!.....................

Quick edit to say that if you have half a brain where mechanical stuff is concerned then you won't have a problem, and if you do there is here or the other place if you get stuck.

Matt I would say think twice about putting Nitron Street Series on it. I have them, and whilst they are loads better on track they are pretty unpleasant on the road imo. Maybe my suspension bushes etc are overdue a refresh and that is part of it but for road use the Bilsteins were LOADS better - more comfortable and more compliant over bumps. They give you much more confidence, especially in the wet and cold.

Why not just refresh the wishbones, ball joints, drop links (rack if it needs it) etc and put the old Billies on for a bit?

Thanks all - I was pretty convinced that TGA were the way to go, but you all make it sound so easy :D The driveway for me is on a slight slope, so not ideal for working on the car in reality, although it's not really enough to cause concern I don't think. The cold weather won't help though!

While it's not fair to tell you what TGA quoted, he did estimate 15 hours to remove all and replace (based on rebush and suspension replacement)

Thanks for the offer Jonathan - I've got 4 axle stands so hopefully they should do the trick!

Dean - the whole Bilstein vs NSS has been my major decision. Firstly, the current setup has to go; the front dampers are corroded so definitely need to be replaced. That said, I'm aware than 90% of MLOC/SELOC seem to be in agreement that standard Bilstein is easily the best road setup you can get.....but.....they're more expensive (£840 vs £730 for NSS), and I like the fact the Elise looks loads better when it's slightly lower ;)

Last question - anyone care to weigh in on the spherical wishbone bearings vs standard debate? Bearing in mind, primarily road car.

Matty I hear you but here is a better idea - Will Blackham has a nearly new set of Nitron NTR 40s for sale with helper springs for £800 on seloc. These are MUCH better than Street Series. Be quick though they won't hang around!

Dean, thanks for the heads-up on this one. I did contact Will earlier, not heard back as of yet.

Always difficult with suspension. I've been reading SELOC threads about the whole NSS/NT40 vs Quantum vs Bilstein vs others - however in most cases, people are basing their opinion of the new suspension against their old worn stuff bangin.gif 

Matt I would say think twice about putting Nitron Street Series on it. I have them, and whilst they are loads better on track they are pretty unpleasant on the road imo.

Really? I had my Konis swapped out for NSS (by Mart at TGA) and found them to be loads better. Maybe there's a difference between S1s & S2s? As I don't really do any track days I do have them set pretty soft compared to how firm they can go, so maybe that helps.

I looked in to having my Billies refurbished. Iirc the cost was around £100 per damper but a fair bit more on top for new springs.

Do you need to change the springs though? I wonder how much they degrade over time. I would have thought the springs on an Elise have a fairly easy time, but I could be wrong of course.

Do you need to change the springs though? I wonder how much they degrade over time. I would have thought the springs on an Elise have a fairly easy time, but I could be wrong of course.

I would guess so too - I was just thinking aesthetically - if the rest of the suspension was refreshed scabby springs would let it down. Maybe the old springs could be blasted and painted?

Unfortunately (and unsuprisingly) I missed out on those NT40's.

Either way, Dan @ HPE is doing my suspension overhaul. When I sat down and worked it out, it's barely worth me doing it myself for what he's charging; plus he'll turn it around far more quickly so I get back in the saddle after a week or so. And I'll have the added benefit that I know it's been done right laugh.png 

So now I just need to decide on the suspension. And, more importantly, what colour I want my wishbones!

(I knew I let him beat me in karting a few years back would eventually pay off.....)

Archived