litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Get Thee Behind Me Satan

richbk

So i have been mulling over my next car move.

The garage, excluding the daily driver (skoda octavia estate diesel) comprises

06 NA exige -Riviera Blue, tweaked with 2 way ohlins, floating nitro bells, harnesses, baffled sump, ecu remap etc etc. 39k miles

05 honda s2000 GT Silverstone Grey- immaculate and absolutely stock - I'm 2nd owner , 36k miles

On a good day i should realise about 30k for the 2, give or take, and prices seem to be steadily rising so my motoring is relatively cost free bar insurance, road tax and consumables. 

However I fancy a change and recently missed out on an 06 manual AM Vantage that was beautiful and well sorted for about 33k. However my dithering and a fright when i looked into service and consumable costs means i missed out. My mate runs a last gen v6 boxster, which despite my desire not to like, is a very capable and exciting car to drive....

at the other end of the scale my son kindly sent me this link today

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/lotus/elise-s1/1998-lotus-elise-s1-sc-honda-370bhp/6432508

I am really unsure which way to go.

I have been privileged to run a lotus of various types for the last 10 years and can't quite persuade myself to commit to an evora or v6 exige for the extra cash required, so wondered if others could share there thoughts, ideas and experience of cars in the 30-35k bracket that will give me a new but still exciting driving experience.

Well everyone except Scatty obviously, as i don't do Jap crap :)

Richbk

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I reckon in a few months there will be some private v6s floating about for 37-38k - bob down and I'll take you out in mine, it's quite good :D

That little s1 would run rings around it on track though, what a lovely thing!!

A V6 Boxster would be a rare thing.......

I'd definitely have the V6 Exige on my list in your shoes.

If you want an investment, you could consider a tidy 993, they are steadily increasing in value nowadays. I missed the boat a few years back and I'm still cursing!

I think Boxsters are great cars but they just aren't lookers are they?

How about a classic? For a change? If you are quick you could get in to a nice enough s3 or 4 Elan for that sort of money and when you fancy a change again in a year or two it will be worth five grand more.

Depends how may track days you do.If its a lot buy the Honda. If not i would be seriously tempted by a supercharged Elise or S2 Exige. The Exige would be virtually free motoring as well as far as man maths are concerned    :)

T350 is stunning... Nearly bought one 3 years ago. Was almost a done deal untill I started going through old receipts....

Be under no illusion that the speed six is a race engine for the road and unless it's had a full rebuild somewhere like tvr power or str8 six there could be big bills on the horizon.....

Saying that having driven a few, one of the nicest engines to drive.

Hi Rich,

Although I've never owned a Boxster or a Vantage I have a very good friend who has owned a Boxster S and presently owns a Vantage. He's a generous sort and has let me drive both on quite a few occasions. I liked the Boxster, if I'm really honest I liked it more than I liked the 911 C4s he owned afterwards, my only real complaints on the Boxster were that you feel you are sitting on top of it, rather than in it, and the steering wheel is far too big for a sports car. Its a very sanitised car (to the point of boredom)  apart from that it was capable and I enjoyed driving it, although I wouldn't rush to own one.

The Aston is a 10 plate and I'm no expert of the differences between an 06 and a 10 plate. The Aston sounds fantastic, in fact, its sounds like thunder when you floor it but, it feels heavy, doesn't drive that well and its poorly built, we went to see 6 others before he bought the one he has all were around the mid 60k mark and if you think Lotus have issues then look past the image if your thinking of an Aston.........He has extremely deep pockets so is of little concern to him.

I'm with Martin in respect of the S1, its a track car and I suspect it would be a right handful too, I'm not sure I'd want that on the road.

Id sell the S2000, buy a shoddy S1, tidy it up, tweak it to 140-160. Will be a different experience to the Exige and you'll sell it for more than you have spent on it, if you can bring yourself to part with itlaugh.png thumbs_up.gif

You could do a lot worse than to bag one of the very last RenaultSport Megane 275 Cup S.  They are getting very thin on the ground now that production has ceased, but there are still a FEW brand new ones in stock up and down the country.

A fully spec.ed up car with all the bits including Ohlins dampers, Akrapovic exhaust, mechanical LSD, and Recaro seats will be around 28K, maybe better if you can waggle a wad of cash at the salesman (ahem, salesperson!).

I had two of these slightly unhinged monster hatches and enjoyed every single mile smile.png.

Thanks for the kind replies all, sorry i have been off campus last few days so not commented. got to love Black Friday weekend.!!

So Jon - have you been talking too my son - this is basically what he wants us to do, possibly long term involving one of dans hondas !!

I love the S1 more as times passes, but the prices make me weep that i didn't pick 1 up for £7k when i had the chance.

thanks for the Aston insight - interesting.

Eric - Don't think I'm the right side of 40 to do the hot hatch thing again, although they are a well sorted car for sure.

Dean - Im not that far the wrong side of 40 to do the classic thing yet, although Ethan wants an mg midget as his 1st car so maybe......

That S1 is stunning but i would not give it the proper use it deserves for sure.

Dave V6 boxter -oops, but you know what i meant , pre the 4 cyl debacle.

build quality wise it is simply stunning, although unfortunately a wooden box fell on my mates in the garage last week, dinting the back quarter panel and porsche want 3.2 k to repair and re-spray the panel.....ffs my whole exige only cost that much!!

The V6 exige is a fab car, but i can't get past, that from the inside i am still in my old car, where as the inside of the evora is a lovely place to be, but I'm not so keen on the looks ......

1st world problems ehh.

anyways - piston heads classifieds will keep my attention for now, as i settle the 2 cars off for there winter hibernation post service and MOT's next week.

although the sunshine is beckoning the honda this afternoon. smile.png

who knows i could always buy scatty's  once he's put his deposit down on that caterham :

Archived