litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Launch Control

chumaxa

I have done a research, but can not see how works the launch control on the V6 ? Also, how do you swap to the race mode, when there is only 3 position on the button, and flag position looks like all off on the dash .. Explain to me please :)

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DPM Switch

3 modes (4 on Race Pack equipped cars) – Touring, Sport, Race (where fitted), DPM Off

◾Touring mode puts all DPM systems in to their fully activated mode and is designed for normal daily driving conditions.

◾Sport mode relaxes the DPM systems.

◾Off disables all DPM features bar ABS.

Launch Control

Available only on cars equipped with the Race Pack. Can only be activated when the car is stationary and in Race Mode.

To use launch control the car must be:

◾ Stationary

◾Engine coolant temperature between 80-110c

◾Steering wheel in the straight ahead position (a few degrees tolerance allowed)

◾Launch control not have been used in the last 2 minutes

◾No ECU/ESP fault codes present

◾Vehicle has not performed the maximum number of allowed launches (still to be defined)

◾Vehicle has covered more than 500 miles as logged by the ECU

I do not know because it can be done in many ways. The software will look at the wheel speed and steering angle and calculate the amount if slip (spin) on the rear, a small amount of slip is allowed and good. It probably also uses gyros and rate accelerometers to work out the kinetics of the car. If the slip is riding too high, is split across the axle or there is a great differential across the axel some control is applied. The fastest mode of control is through the spark advance which has an impact on power, total spark can be applied as well. That will reduce the true quite dramatically. Patterns may be played over multiple firing to reduce the torque on each wheel. It sounds odd but works. Fuel can be changed but this is slow acting as wall wetting means there is often excess fuel in the plenum. A slipping wheel could also have a dab of brakes applied but I do not know if the v6 has this, it probably does.

Fuelling and not sparking also cools the piston crowns which is useful in high load situations.

Lotus are quite clever with chassis control systems. On normal road cars they are one of the few that uses spark control, makes nice popping noises as well. I sure their software is kept a secret. We did lots of techniques years ago on f1 cars but then the regulations banned the technology to make the sport more exciting.....that worked, not. On an old f1 car you could just floor the gas and drop the clutch and it would launch.

Ok yeah I figured out everything on a run, did not launch control the car, but go to race mode, stop the car, and hold, it is going to give you the launch control possibility. It would be strange to invalidate the warranty for that .. 

Archived