litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Radiator Burst

Foggy

I have noticed for some time that I seem to be losing coolant, as the header becomes very low, so I keep topping it up, but there are no signs of any leakage. The temperature sometime goes up high, but when topped up all is fine again and had no problems all weekend with 2 trips to Oulton Park. Then today whilst on my way to see a client, with no warning, the windscreen got showered with coolant, I stopped pretty sharpish, wondering what the hell had happened and it was hissing out of the side (drivers side)of the rad and was pouring out from under the car causing a little stream down the road!!!!

Called the AA and a really nice lad came to my aid, he had a big can of water on board, which along with my spare bottle of coolant he topped up and added K seal for good measure. This managed to get me the 5 miles or so home.

I was only talking to Colin on Monday at Oulton, saying that over the Winter I was going to try and remove the front clam and check it all over and tighten all the clips etc and then this happens!!!

I ordered a full alloy rad through my mate who runs a motor factors in Melton which is now in the boot of my daughters car, which is now my runabout. Not having much luck, having bust the turbo on my M135i and now bust the Lotus, anyone else want something breaking?!

Has anyone changed a radiator? is it fairly easy to get the front clam off or is it a real ball ache? I just fancy having a go myself.

Any advice would be gratefully receive.

Simon

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The amount of aggro usually depends on if its been off before and who / how it was replaced. I expect it will also be more of a faf depending if you have air con or not? Its perfectly doable with a bit of patience and a few skinned knuckles probably    :)   DIY and you can sort out anything else you find as well.

The amount of aggro usually depends on if its been off before and who / how it was replaced. I expect it will also be more of a faf depending if you have air con or not? Its perfectly doable with a bit of patience and a few skinned knuckles probably    smile.png   DIY and you can sort out anything else you find as well.

Thanks Martin, no aircon on mine, I will probably enlist the help of a friend or two who are mechanically minded, one has just done a complete nuts and bolt rebuild of a 1968 MGB Roadster, that's what friends are for!!

Oh no mate. 

I would print out the front clam page from Deroure unless you have the service manual? These will show you what fittings are where to help you know if you have all the bolts removed.

Also might be an idea to buy a stainless steel front clam bolt kit via Ebay. What condition is your front tow post in? Probably worth at least treating it while you are at it.

Should be a relatively simple job to do, but like Martin has said will depend on if the clam has been off previously.

Make sure you apply some sort of grease on the fixtures when refitting.

If you are struggling give me a shout.

Cheers guys, this is going to be an adventure, as I'm not the most mechanically minded person.

Alan, the towing post is one job I also intend to do as the one that's on is all but rusted away, think I will have to drill the old fixings out as there's not much solid metal left.

Are you sure the rad has gone as it is a common issue for the top hose (drivers side) to pop off as for some reason that clip is not as tight as the other.

Mind you if you have an ally replacement you might as well swap now anyway.

Bad luck Simon.

I have this job to do in the near future due to my rad fan having the rattle of death.

Might be worth replacing the rad fan while your at it?

Hi Alex

New fan and fitting kit already on its way from Elise Shop, mine was making a horrible sound when it kicked in. I think it's a case of replace as many failing items as possible while it's off.

Are you sure the rad has gone as it is a common issue for the top hose (drivers side) to pop off as for some reason that clip is not as tight as the other.

Mind you if you have an ally replacement you might as well swap now anyway.

Hi Steve

I first thought a hose might have come loose, but when I checked them they were as tight as a drum. I've been getting the smell of hot coolant for a while and the temperature has been erratic, with a loss of coolant regularly, I think it was only a matter of time before this happened.

I also have the splitter to fit, which will be far easier with the clam off.

Simon

Archived