litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Ips (Automatic) V6 Exige - Discuss..

Meister

I have made the decision to change my Elise CR, it was never going to be a keeper tbh. So thoughts have turned to V6 Exige's - what are peoples thoughts on the IPS Auto ? One part of me really fancies the paddle shift the other part says......an auto Exige you must be mad! I wonder how difficult they would be to shift on if I get bored ( notice what I did there! ) ?

Mark

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speak to Paul J, His Evora is IPS and suits the car well..... Personally I would not have an Exige IPS thou.

I know what you mean Andy. Shall I just order a new Elise Cup 250 and be done with it???

Mark

You should scratch the V6 itch as they are fantastic and addictive cars with some good value cars out there at the moment, However the Elise cup either in 220 or 250 spec are an attractive option cool.png

I struggle to see much point in the IPS Exige if I'm honest. In the Evora it makes more sense.  

I've just driven 3600 miles in 10 days, through city centres and along motorways, the odd gear shift was really a non issue. The torque in the V6 is such you can go from 30 to 180+ in sixth, so you really aren't using the shifter as much as in the 4 cylinder cars.

As a road car the bigger engine really shines.  You will probably also find (I did) that the wider track / longer wheelbase really help on choppy surfaces.  You really should take a test drive before going for another Elise if deciding between the pair, the difference may surprise you.

Speak to Paul J, His Evora is IPS and suits the car well..... Personally I would not have an Exige IPS thou.

Mark,

If your coming on Thursday I'll quite happily bring the Evora

Get an Atom so Simon has someone to chase wink.gif

Sorry Mark I'm not helping much am I

LOL!!! No you not Russ! TBH I really like those Atoms having driven a few now at Palmers with paddle shift! However, my next purchase will definitely be a Lotus. The thing is I have to get this decision right, the next car will have to be kept for 4 years. I think a V6 Exige is probably where I'm at though, the thought of all that depreciation on a new cup 250 makes my hair curl! 

Mark,

If your coming on Thursday I'll quite happily bring the Evora

Hi Paul

Still planning on being there may be a little later than normal as it's my daughters birthday. I would definitely like to take a look but I can't make you sacrifice a night of drinking!! 

Mark

I'm with you on the V6 Exige Mark - I've had my itch for a while ( I've even put my car up on the PH classifieds!! )

Off to Christopher Neil's tomorrow for a play ;-)

Could be an expensive week !!!

I'm with you on the V6 Exige Mark - I've had my itch for a while ( I've even put my car up on the PH classifieds!! )

Off to Christopher Neil's tomorrow for a play ;-)

Could be an expensive week !!!

Simon - let us know how you get on!

When I went in Ian's LF1 it was the sheer power that's drawing me towards a V6! There are some well priced cars around as well at the moment.

What are your thoughts on roadster vs coupe?

Mark

Simon - let us know how you get on!

When I went in Ian's LF1 it was the sheer power that's drawing me towards a V6! There are some well priced cars around as well at the moment.

What are your thoughts on roadster vs coupe?

Mark

Hi mate - I'm thinking coupe currently as the roof comes off anyway & I prefer the spoiler ( although only just ). I do like the power, but also love that extra dimension that the bigger engine gives to the way the Exige feels & sounds. For me ( and don't laugh ) It's almost the perfect blend of some old blood & thunder TVR attributes, with the wonderful delicacy of a Lotus.

I'll feedback after my trip oop North ;-)

Mark/Simon

I would try and test both. The Roadster and Coupe have different suspension (the anti roll bars are different) as well as the changes due to "Race Pack" which most Coupes will have, and most Roadsters don't.

The effect is that the standard Roadster has a crisper low speed turn-in.  The Coupe being tuned to the faster stuff where the aero kicks in. 

Personally I would also say if anything on a B-Road blast the non race pack Roadster is a tad less unsettled by mid corner bumps, and tramlines a bit less (both are a big step up from the S2 Exige in regards poor road surfaces and crowns / camber IMHO).

I'd also argue the front splitter may be a worry (I've already destroyed one front numberplate, and caught the smaller replacement a number of times to the point it is at a jaunty angle.)

Ultimately the Coupe is better for track, arguably the Roadster is better for road. The Elephant in the room is a Boxster is a better road car than the Exige for the money.  Nowhere near as exclusive, will turn less heads (and trust me spoilers are not needed in this regard), but MUCH more user friendly, with broader used appeal. (My reasoning why the used Roadster is under comparative price pressure)

Would I swap my Exige for a Bosxter? Not until you prised the keys from my cold dead fingers, however I've come to the self realisation I am a little bit "fringe" :D  Unfortunately come resale time I need to find another fringe buyer :(

The one saving grace is the Roadster is rarer, so who knows one day in the next few years it might be the one people seek out if they are looking for a special weekend car not a track car. I genuinely think the Roadster fits that bill better.

As a 10 year old track car, I think the Exige may struggle as it's lost the ease of spannering and cheap consumables of the 4 cylinder cars :(

Mark/Simon

I would try and test both. The Roadster and Coupe have different suspension (the anti roll bars are different) as well as the changes due to "Race Pack" which most Coupes will have, and most Roadsters don't.

The effect is that the standard Roadster has a crisper low speed turn-in.  The Coupe being tuned to the faster stuff where the aero kicks in. 

Personally I would also say if anything on a B-Road blast the non race pack Roadster is a tad less unsettled by mid corner bumps, and tramlines a bit less (both are a big step up from the S2 Exige in regards poor road surfaces and crowns / camber IMHO).

I'd also argue the front splitter may be a worry (I've already destroyed one front numberplate, and caught the smaller replacement a number of times to the point it is at a jaunty angle.)

Ultimately the Coupe is better for track, arguably the Roadster is better for road. The Elephant in the room is a Boxster is a better road car than the Exige for the money.  Nowhere near as exclusive, will turn less heads (and trust me spoilers are not needed in this regard), but MUCH more user friendly, with broader used appeal. (My reasoning why the used Roadster is under comparative price pressure)

Would I swap my Exige for a Bosxter? Not until you prised the keys from my cold dead fingers, however I've come to the self realisation I am a little bit "fringe" biggrin.png  Unfortunately come resale time I need to find another fringe buyer sad.png

The one saving grace is the Roadster is rarer, so who knows one day in the next few years it might be the one people seek out if they are looking for a special weekend car not a track car. I genuinely think the Roadster fits that bill better.

As a 10 year old track car, I think the Exige may struggle as it's lost the ease of spannering and cheap consumables of the 4 cylinder cars sad.png

Simon

Thanks for this.

I really am torn between Coupe and Roadster as you suggest a test drive is really the best way forward!

Mark

Archived