litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

195 Or 205 On The Front

jako999

Hi all I posted for some help on brakes and tyres the other day but now I don't know what to? I have an SC which has 175 on the front so the max I can get on that rim is a 195, I use the car on the road and a few hillclimbs the back ends fine but the front is not sticky enough.

So the question is do put sticky 195 on the standard rim but also use them on the road which means they will wear out quicker or do I buy a second set of rims that will take 205 on the front then buy a full set of rubber just to race if I went down the line of 205's do they just fit or do I have to do anything to stop them catching? I think the first option will be the cheapest in the long run and will a 205 over a 195 really make that much difference?

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would buy a second set of rims and put 195s on the front and 225s on the rear - Avon ZZRs or similar, whatever your hillclimb regs allow. I think if you put 205s on the front it would upset the balance.

Stick with the standard wheels and tyres for road use.

My 111R has 205's on the front. They were on when i bought it. So i don't know how it would drive with the standard 175's?? On the front.

Seams daft to replace them just for the sake of it, as lots of tread left. But when my rears wear out i think i will replace all four. Not sure with what though. Some kind of yoko's are standard I think

Anyone local you can borrow as set of fronts running 195's to see how you like it. Must be a few guys on here with a spare set before you invest.

My view is you will lose a little bit of the delicacy of feel vs the 175s, but make up for it with more front end grip and better brakes. Like all things it's a compromise and somewhat of a personal choice.

Personally I was very happy with 195's on my old S2.

You'll feel the difference 175 to 205. More grip but will tramline more and steering slightly heavier.

I'd go separate wheels and tyres for hill climbing. Sticky soft semislicks.

For road if you're happy with 175 then stay with them and get a more agressive front geo to eliminate most of the understeer. You could then replace with 185 or 195 when you change tyres if you want more front end grip.

Daily use and hill climb are too different to try and have the same set up for both IMHO.

Archived