litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Tyre Advice

Daveb99

My rear tyres are getting a bit low - may need to change them later this year or early next year.

I have Advan AD05's, but here's the thing - the fronts have bags of tread left.   So my thinking is that I'll try to source some AD05's for the rear only, rather than buy a full set of AD08R's.

I can get a pair of brand new rear AD05's for £315 plus fitting from Hangar 111 - can't find them anywhere else.   So not particularly cheap I guess - £350 fitted.

Alternatively I have the opportunity to buy a full set of 2011 date coded AD05's for £300ish that have covered only 50 miles (or possibly just the rears).  Dry stored.

No brainer?   Any issues with buying tyres with a 5 year old date code?   I know the rubber goes a little hard over time, but I think mine have been on the car since 2009 looking at the history/invoices and it still sticks like the proverbial to a blanket.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually just checked my current tyres and they are AD06's, not AD05's (I assumed they were the latter because of the tread pattern, as they are the same).

Any advice would be much appreciated - not sure what to do now as the 'nearly new' set are AD05's.   Guess I could buy the full set & fit them, at least they are 2-3 years newer than mine?

Or better to go for AD08Rs when the time comes?  Anyone know a decent (inexpensive) place to source them?

You are indeed correct Monsieur - I know they are rotational but hadn't checked the near side and assumed they all had the same AD code. They are AD05's on that side :)

So, worth a punt at £300 ish for the full set, despite 5yr old date codes?

Cheers Neil. Just checked though and I can get a full set of AD08R delivered for £350 from Demon Tweeks. So I might as well wear out the rears and replace all 4 with those...

I changed to AD08r from AD05/06s and haven't looked back. I was in the same situation nearly new fronts but worn rears. 

A pair of rear AD05/06s was about the same as a full set of AD08rs fitted. First set were £450, last set £360 fitted. Recently i was quoted £430 for a set fitted (Parkers in Thurmaston) so went for R888rs at £470 for a change. Check camskill, demon tweaks, blackcircles etc for current prices as they do seem to change.

In my experience AD08rs have a lot more grip in both dry and wet. I also find they don't "go off" on track due to temp anywhere nearly as quickly as AD05/06. Set the pressures and you are fine for a 30min session no problem. AD05/06 would be very lively after only 15mins. AD08rs also seem more progressive and "fun" on track. I realy can't recommend them enough over the much more expensive AD05/06.  

AD05/06 have a funky tread pattern though....

Archived