litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Front Undertray Removal

Gazlar53

Hi guys, hope you are well.

I need to change my arb bushes and generally tidy up the arb with some paint.

I tried to remove the bolts holding the front Undertray but they are either seized/rounded or just spinning. I have no problem with cutting them off but just wondered what's best to replace them with? I'm assuming whatever they screw into will need replacing too, especially the ones that are spinning. Are there any kits out there for this purpose etc?

Thanks in advance.

Gareth.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Front undertray bolts just go into spring clips (maybe that's not the right name)... U shaped clips with a little tab for the thread to pull against. If they're the original clips they have probably rusted through the bottom of the U so the flat piece can spin. IIRC I had that problem when I first had mine. 

Perhaps try cutting a slot into the head before resorting to drilling out?

New clips are an off the shelf replacement from any car parts place.

What car?

On the exige S2 (presume same on elise) they have rivnuts at the back of the under tray, these are threaded inserts pushed into the chassis. I had one of mine spin, managed to put some pressure on it by twisting it sidewards and the bolt thankfully caught and undid.

Next time at the dealers they tightened up all the inserts with a special tool.

If you cut these off they will be rattling around somewhere!

Thanks guys and thankyou for the kind offer of the rivnut tool too! I think I'll buy one though as this is just the start of what I need to do on it!

So, I'm looking for some u spire nuts for the front bit where it attaches to the underside of the front clam and some m5? Rivnuts for the rear section.

Cheers

Hold on... I might have some left over from my jobs that I will donate for the cost of a little donation to MLOC.

I'll let you know when I'm home tomorrow or Sunday if you can wait.

Archived