litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Ad07 On Exige Front Wheels?

DanP

Hi all

Ive got stock, and rather boring, rims on my toyota S2 (5.5" wide at the front), and I want to use these boring rims for winter tyres. This all means I will need some new rims for my summer tyres. Might as well take the opportunity to get some nicer rims, right? Those exige rims that are 6.5" wide sure look tempting!

Ive got AD07 lts 175/55 R16 on my current front rims. If I got exige rims (that are an inch wider) could I put my AD07s on them, or do I have to throw them away? Anybody else out there done this?

Thanks

Dan

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know the side walls on the 175 sit nice and square on a 6" wide rim, the 6.5" is only 1/4" a side wider so they would probably work fine, personally I like a slight stretch. I have a set of forged split spoke s2 wheels that I may be thinking of selling, they are 6" fronts 7.5" rears though.

They would fit sort of. Would be best to get new front tyres... And leave the ad07's for winter.

Just to clarify, my criteria is so long as they are safe, and don't change the handling into comic handling, then I'll do it. I want to run proper winter tyres this winter. Had enough of having to catch the car on ad07 when I'm still half asleep :-)

I know the side walls on the 175 sit nice and square on a 6" wide rim, the 6.5" is only 1/4" a side wider so they would probably work fine, personally I like a slight stretch. I have a set of forged split spoke s2 wheels that I may be thinking of selling, they are 6" fronts 7.5" rears though.

Actually 6" would do the trick!

What tyres do you run on those? I don't have uprated suspension, so I wouldn't be running stickies.  

I've got 205's on the front of mine. Means I can run Micheline Pilot Sports. I've found them a great all round tyre and have even done a couple of track days on them and they've held their own no problem.

I've got 205's on the front of mine. Means I can run Micheline Pilot Sports. I've found them a great all round tyre and have even done a couple of track days on them and they've held their own no problem.

Mark, are you running the 205's on 6" or 6.5" rims? 

Both my original plan of running AD08r's (once I'd worn out the AD07's), or your suggestion of the plot sport, means a 205mm width as the closest fit. 

I have 175 50 16 front and 235 40 17 rear on those wheels. I bought the forged wheels for my S1 (s2 front hubs with converters on rear) hence to odd tire sizes as I wanted to keep the rolling radius as close as possible to the original, then i changed my mind and went for the split rims.

I've just put Exige wheels on mine and stuck the AD07's on all round.  Once the rears have gone (prob by the end of the year) I'll move to AD08's all round but for the moment they seem fine apart from looking a tad stretched, compared to the rears.

That's settled then! My plan is not so stupid, at least according to Mloc :-)

I did a load of searching on forums before posting the initial question, but didn't find an answer categorical enough.

Thanks all!!!

Looks nice on those.

I just put 205/45/16 AD08R's on my spare set of Y spokes, they do look a bit small though compared to the OE 195/50/16's, worth considering the 50 profile if you do go the AD08R route, though they are slightly taller than stock  

Archived