litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Supercharger And Idle Problem

jako999

Hi all I got home a couple of days ago and I could hear a sucking sound from the engine bay so I did some investigation and found that the centre medium sized pipe on the supercharger to the right of the engine which goes down the side of the engine somewhere had split so I took it off and cut a inch off as I was doing this I heard a clunk from the bottom of the engine bay almost like a bolt had been dropped on to the alloy under panel, I put the pipe back on started it up and the noise was gone, the pipe had plenty of play in it to cut some off. What does this pipe do and what was the clunk. The car is fine when your driving but then you come to a stop the revs drop to around 400 then back up but when your sat there on tick over its not smooth the Rev counter sits still but you can feel it slightly hunting.

Any ideas thanks in advance.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was there a hose or spring clamp around each end of the hose you removed? Has one of those dropped off to make the 'clunk'? If it did, then the hose will not be sealing fully and causing an air leak, hence the hunting.

Photo might help aswell...

This what?

Should there be a picture?

I will take a picture of the pipe tomorrow and all the clips were replaced so I know it wasn't a clip that dropped.

Thanks

Hi Colin its the middle sized pipe out of the three pipes in the middle of the picture that come out of top of the supercharger intake

Thanks

Hi MARTIN

It is as may c says but with a split in the pipe ( not connection ) is causing the hunting ( a bit like having a leak in a central heating system with a combo boiler ) your engine is losing air pressures on a sealed unit ? ( I'm sure others can explain better )

First thing is get the pipe replaced

Hope this Mumbo jumbo helps

Regards

Colin

Took the under trays off today and the pipe comes down and goes off down the passenger side alloy frame but I have no idea where to or what it does? My thought now is as I don't know now long the pipe had been split the ecu may need some miles to remap again a good excuse to drive over to Loton and watch the hillclimb on Sunday.

Archived