litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Nlc - Lister Bell Stratos Build Thread

Dr H

I'm assuming the yellow, blue & green wires go to a mechanically-driven internal position switch (SPDT). With the motor in the 'down' position, the switch contacts will be closed so that a 12v feed will run the motor to the headlight 'up' position, at which point the switch is moved so those contacts open and the motor stops running (leaving the headlights up as there's now no power to the motor).

Conversely, from the headlights in 'up' the switch contacts that are now closed will run the motor in reverse (ie. to move the headlights to 'down') when a 12v feed is supplied. One this reaches the limit, ie. fully 'down' then switch contacts will be back to the correct position for driving the lights to 'up'.

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like the Lotus ones work differently though.

Have requested to return them but one supplier's T&Cs say they won't accept electrical items that have been connected up! And the other charges a 20% restocking fee. So much for trying to save money.......

If you're stuck with it, then I'd be inclined to remove the two little pozidrive screws and see what the switching is like internally. At least then you'll be fully able to satisfy yourself there's no way it can work...

Daniel from CP spent another day in the garage today.

Made a few small mods to the loom. Fitted the new TPSs from Variohm - we needed ones that put out higher voltages as the originals weren't putting out enough to get the DBW to work with the ECU.

Got the DBW throttle working and used it to control the idle. Balanced the ITBs using a flow meter. syncrometer thingy.

Car ran really well, engine really smooth but all of a sudden started to run super rich. Looked like it was burning oil as lots of blue(ish) smoke. Removed the wideband an put in a standalone wideband and meter. Was perfect and then all of a sudden went form around 1.00 to 0.6ish. Did this a few times, worked out it was when the fan kicked in, or didn't as the case may be. As soon as the ECU triggered the fan the fueling went rich but the fan didn't come on.

Once that was remedied all was OK. Got it up to temp and made sure fans kicked in properly.

Big puddle of coolant where header tank spat a load out of the over-flowed but otherwise no obvious issues. Just to much in the system I guess.

Oh, just went out to the garage and found a big puddle of coolant at the front wall.gif lol.gif. Think I found the offending connection.

All the aluminium pipes in the coolant system that I had anodized have turned weird on the surface, look like lots of tiny cracks. Dunno what it is but it's annoying! Almost as annoying as the lovely white zircotec manifold going very dirty in large patches. wall.gif Seems stuff not visible on the surface when cold appears when it heats up. looks bloody awful but does seem to be going a bit as the car gets hot.

The coating works extremely well. You can tell by the heat in the silencers and tailpipe o.gif. Guess it will keep the CATS up to temp.....

Oh well,all good for the body fit on Wed next week though!

I've just done the exhaust manifolds and link pipe so the coating is up to the point where the cats/silencers are. You can coat the whole lot right to the tailpipes but cost might be prohibitive.

If you are going for the white, make sure you do all your engine work first and then get it coated. Mines suffered already from lots of landmarks, oil and other stuff. Not looking great now......

On 20/10/2018 at 11:28, Dr H said:

I've just done the exhaust manifolds and link pipe so the coating is up to the point where the cats/silencers are. You can coat the whole lot right to the tailpipes but cost might be prohibitive.

If you are going for the white, make sure you do all your engine work first and then get it coated. Mines suffered already from lots of landmarks, oil and other stuff. Not looking great now......

Cheers Leigh, 

Manifold and cat pipe I think... Backbox should be fine. I was hoping to go gunmetal I the hope it may be a little more kinder to the dirty marks.. 

The white on my S2 Honda is fine but it's not had any real work don to it since fitting. The LB has had all sorts done and just doesn't like dirt getting on it. Partly it's because the surface is rough, like fine sandpaper and  can;t really be wiped or cleaned (when cold).

Just finishing off a few things before it goes off on Wed.

Now the ITBs have been balanced, the air filter can go back on. I replaced the original one with a slimmer version. First one was too high and would have fouled the body work.

44560840455_d5ca768da3_c.jpg

43657542010_48ed461a62_c.jpg

45475089201_bef07fbabc_c.jpg

More laser cut brackets

44590223425_e8843eb2e0_c.jpg

They are for running the flywheel sensor cable from the base of the gearbox, and round the casing to the top of the box. Bit difficult to show but just loosen off the bolt that connects the bell housing box to the engine, slip it in and tighten it back up. Then push a conduit clip in there and bob's your uncle. Nice neat way of keeping the cable out of the way of the exhaust.

43686918080_2ba094570d_c.jpg

And I've added about 5 tonnes of sound deadening mat lol.gif. I mean I don;t want it sounding like a Lotus now do I wink.gif

31631300308_c2a7477257_c.jpg

45453058952_683fe1fca5_c.jpg

Now just 2 wiring connectors to add and a new main ignition relay (should all arrive tomorrow) and it's finally ready to have the body fitted clp.gif

2 hours ago, The Cakes said:

You’ll not know what to do with yourself once it’s finished! Did you decide on a colour?

I could build summat else but not sure my bank account can handle it.....

Body is in gel coat, will be coming back to me before it goes for paint. Not decided on an exact colour but will be green. Starting to think red wheels might be better than gold....

1-611.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=13940&d=1539

2 hours ago, Dr H said:

Body is in gel coat, will be coming back to me before it goes for paint. Not decided on an exact colour but will be green. Starting to think red wheels might be better than gold....

1-611.jpg

A little bit in love with that. :blush:

10 hours ago, Dr H said:

1-611.jpg

Hmmm green and gold would be nice!

Finally back at LB 2 days short of 2 years and 8 months after I collected the chassis and first lot of parts!

45537090271_5b83c001bb_c.jpg

A massive thanks to Dave (111rDW on MLOC) for coming all the way from Wolverhampton way, up to mine and then on to LB with his Freelander and trailer to take the car for me. You are a gent sir, and once again Lotus owners show what thoroughly decent people they really are. clp.gif

So now it's a case of getting bits like this stuck on the car:

43719714250_45cf29ed26_c.jpg

and make it a bit more like one of these ).gif

44623058715_ed06053ab1_c.jpg

Archived