28th - 30th June 2024

Nlc - Lister Bell Stratos Build Thread

Dr H

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, timbo said:

Verde chiaro 358?

Not sure - Italian paint records form the 70s are shite! Even Lancia contradict themselves in different documents :wacko:

Wondering whehter to do it in the current Porsche colour Gelb Grun.

7 hours ago, Dr H said:

Greedy!

Is that a Capri on the left?

It certainly is Leigh, it's a rather nice 1:18 scale model by Norev and exactly like one I used to have back in the 80's

8 hours ago, KurtB said:

Phil, what manufacturer are the two 1/18 Strato's in the middle of your image? I like those.

Yes they are nice models Kurt, they're both by Kyosho. The lower one was a limited edition diorama snow scene with mud splatters over the bodywork.

• 2 weeks later...

Not much progress to report on my build.

Got fixing plates made up for the seats and sent them to powder coat. Had to send one of the manifolds back to Zircotec as there was a bit of an issue with the coating. They were very good about it and sorted it with no problems.

Got the spacer plate that my starter motor was missing (and a new starter motor to replace the one that broke without ever being used). Wrapped it in heat shield and fitted it:

40760875932_86a9de260c_c.jpg

Then fitted the manifolds, link pipes and silencers. Copper nuts on manifolds. Had to cut my own gaskets as non supplied with the kit. Manifold at the back of the car loosely fitted at the mo as it might have to come off for wiring to get to the starter motor and oil pressure switch etc.

40803925451_9f4f521f25_c.jpg

Lots of heat shielding on the air con pipes, gear cables and dip stick.

38993936320_5b634a8792_c.jpg

Collect some bits for the ITB trumpet tray next week - will post pics when I have it. Being custom laser cut and welded.

After thinking there were no leaks on the coolant system 2 turned up! I tried all sorts but finally admitted defeat on them. As well as the front leak something at the rear started leaking too, well over a week after it was filled with coolant. I swapped the normal jubilee clips for these:
http://www.murraycorp.com/clamp/constant-tension/dual-bead-super-sealing-clamp-db/

Still didn't work on the ones at the front. wall.gif Think I need a different hose with longer 'legs' to make sure it clears the beads on the aluminum pipes. So gave up and drained the system. Ordered new hoses and more clamps. Hope to God it sorts it out!

Oil cooler pipe solution finally decided upon. Bit of welding and fabrication needed. Should be sorted in the next couple of weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

After changing some hoses and buying some expensive lined constant tension clips I still have leaks......no idea what to do.

Decided to ignore the leaks today and do something else.

Re-bled the brakes as they are a bit spongy. Not really any better wall.gif

Re-bled the clutch as it was super light and didnl't seem to giving full movement to the slave. Gets full movement but stupidly light. I'm using the MC they supplied and a standard Alfa SC so no idea why it's soooo light. Feels horrible!

I've been ignoring the wiring and it's going to Dan's in just over 2 weeks time to be done but I thought I'd better try and get an understanding of what's going on. Managed to work out what all the relays are and which fuses go where. There are 3 fuse holders. When I put them in (ages ago) I had no fuse diagram. I managed to put them in the wrong order instead of 1-2-3. I have them as 1-3-2 wall.gif Can't get them out either, afraid I'll break something wall.gif

40362785184_f05b6cc01b_c.jpg

Also started tagging some of the wires for the dash, seems straight forward (so far)....

39262874460_deac1530b3_c.jpg

Picked up the 'trumpet tray' I had made for the ITBs

40362095854_6e6818523f_c.jpg

Put ITBs on manifolds:

39262358140_6a338844cf_c.jpg

Fit tray (will fit a gasket to the base once it's powder coated.

41028684722_7989ef30df_c.jpg

Fit gaskets to base of trumpets:

39262615160_63b9634087_c.jpg

Fit trumpets to the tray, they bolt through the tray and ITB into the manifold and help sandwich it all together.

40178118625_1693a28340_c.jpg

The I had to check how an air filter might fit. Ultimately I'll be having an airbox sorted (Lister Bell are working on one) but to get the car started and mapped etc I need a filter. Because this a custom setup I need to find something off the shelf that is suitable. The setup is quite long, longer than a 4 pot, but shorter than a straight 6 so it's a bit difficult.

Best option seemed to be an ITG JC100/100. Looks like this:

3817-100.JPG

So mocked up a base plates and a 'filter' using a sheet of MDF I had lying around. Baseplate:

26202822187_6049c0096d_c.jpg

Mock up of 100mm deep flat top filter:

39265093070_19ab00ba22_c.jpg

Issue is that it might not clear the rear clam when it's fitted. I can't be sure but it's going to be tight:

41031395102_cbbe99c210_c.jpg

Absolute minimum gap between air trumpet mouth and inside of filter is 25mm, 40mm is preferred. The JC100 filter comes in a 65 internal height (which gives the 25 clearance I need) but it's not ideal. The 100mm version has an external height of 125 and that's what I've mocked up.

The best solution would be a sausage shaped version of the filter (which they do) with a 80mm internal height (which they don't do). Quick call to ITG and they will make a custom height 80mm version for me, will take 2-3weeks. More shit loads of money spent!

Ho hum......

Had my head buried in wiring trying to sort out the dash. I have a complete mental block when it comes to electrics so struggling. But I'm determined to get it done and let Dan do the engine loom and ECU.

Been considering the dash fascia finish and tried this. Brushed titanium grey vinyl. Does it work?

39430487120_49902e6ed7_c.jpg

41240882941_6a4e068317_c.jpg

Looks a bit darker in real life. Bear in mind the dash surround won't be black as in the pic, it will be covered in dark grey alcantara. Other options for the fascia are silver or black.

ECU bracket and the final version of my oil cooler pipes to be completed. Got a trial version today and all looked OK so they are back at the fabricator to be finished off.

Will post pics when I have them back.

Oh, and I've just realised that my custom order ITG filter probably won;t fit wall.gif. I looked at the external dimension (width) and it was fine. Didn't realise you lost about 40mm on the internal! Might be able to bodge it to fit but not looking good. Over £200 down the drain.........

And I might have also worked out why my clutch is so light.

I said I used the MC supplied. Well I did but there was an issue with it leaking. Rather than wait for LB to swap it (I'm certain they would have done as they are great on customer service like that) I just ordered a replacement Tiltion one.

I've just checked and it's a 5/8. I'm certain I looked at the original one and ordered the same size. But apparently it's supposed to be 7/8........more wasted money! I really should pay more attention!

Finishing off the ITBs earlier today.

DBW actuator stripped, powder coated and reassembled. Removed the TPS from the end of the shaft to for a lever on the end so each side of the ITB bank is actuated by the same shaft through the actuator.

27448412508_09efe54336_c.jpg

27447911698_52d6d1d069_c.jpg

3D printed levers (in stainless) also powder coated. Thanks so much to Karl for all his help with these.

You need to be able to adjust the butterfly of each ITB to balance them. The levers were designed with a small 'arm' of the side. I got some eccentric spacers made that thread on to an M4 screw, then a spring is added and the whole thing screwed into the body of the ITB. Seems to work pretty well!

26448629027_bfdeeb7b63_c.jpg

Connected all the arms on the ITBs with threaded rods and ends. This is a setup sold for triple cars and with a few small mods it seems to work well

41277603612_589c9de134_c.jpg

26448739997_4409b00e3c_c.jpg

Need to sort out the final connection from the ITB to the other side of the actuator and then adjust everything and it's sorted.

Trumpet tray powder coated and rivnuts added to allow me to attached a filter base plate. (Please excuse the tartan rag, it's amazing what you get in bags of rags. The best one was a cut up pudsey bear costume!)

39511286690_b06ff5ebfc_c.jpg

Looks like the ITG really isn't going to fit so having another re-think. Hatched a plan to use a K&N like this:

E-3035.jpg

Will need to make a base plate and top plate but I think it's doable. This particular filter is good for over 400hp so plenty for my needs. Will be fine for getting it started and mapping etc.

Well, I drained the coolant down again and bought a new hose. Have put adhesive heat shrink on the end of the pipes and about 5 hours ago I connected everything up and refilled it. Will have to wait until tomorrow to see......

Have been wiring up the dash. After a hell of a lot of questions to Lister Bell and lots of helpful replies form them I'm almost there.

26585340917_31d464c502_c.jpg

I need to shorten all the wires to the rocker switches lol.gif and add the wiring in for the illumination of the clocks and I'm done.

40562770355_38822583b4_c.jpg

ECU Bracket made and ECU mounted

40741858234_64b763efac_c.jpg

K&N air filter arrived. Looks like it will work well. Might foul the bodywork when it's fitted but will be fine for getting it all started and running. Have designed a base and cap and am having it laser cut from aluminium. Hopefully will be done next week and I can get it all bolted together.

39647408000_fcd736ecfa_c.jpg

Have removed the oil pressure sender form the head and mounted it on the chassis with a braided line and AN3 fittings. Should help reduce likelihood of failure due to vibration.

41413236902_2b68305ce8_c.jpg

41456218951_4d95d5c88a_c.jpg

Was due to go to Dan's for wiring next week but been pushed back a week. My oil cooler pipes still haven't been finished.

Finally finished the dash - I think!

40830390884_4ae3716e44_c.jpg

Trouble is now Ive test powered it up, the tacho has a fault on it. No backlight. I have changed the connectors on the clocks but it isn't the issue. I've metered it and the power is getting to connector and across the connector to the clock. Everything else works just not the LED backlight wall.gif

Sure LB will sort it though.

Anyway I sorted my air filter. Need to design some sort of 'holder' for it. Drew up some stuff and had it laser cut in 2mm aluminium

Bottom plate:

40830851264_3a60142412_c.jpg

Top Plate

39733487060_3537e483df_c.jpg

Both have small returns on the to hold the filter on the outside

39733489050_2fa0c82a86_c.jpg

Take trumpet tray and put foam around edge

39733493270_31fa039372_c.jpg

Bolt bottom plate to trumpet tray and add in some spacing post (bolted in from the bottom). Only got 4 - need another 2 for the ends. The spacers posts also act as a way of keeping the inner side of the filter in place

40831428964_05afbf1a4e_c.jpg

Got my measurement slightly wrong so had to sup some cutouts in the filter to get it to fit, but do issue, it's only a bit of rubber

27672996618_54c61cc95d_c.jpg

Put the top plate on

39734124650_a02581d81f_c.jpg

Threads on spacer posts stick out just enough to put some dome nuts on and sandwich the whole lot together.

41502140282_9021559234_c.jpg

Pretty pleased with the finished article!
41502151132_ffecaa8dd8_c.jpg

Especially as the trumpet tray and plates only costs me £50! Will be sending off to powder coat black and then fitting it properly. Not bad for an 'interim' solution until I can get an airbox sorted.

Also fitted a replacement clutch MC, this time a 7/8 one. fells much better and get a lot move movement at the slave.

Oil cooler pipes should be finished tomorrow so I can collect and fit them.

Archived