litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Nlc - Lister Bell Stratos Build Thread

Dr H

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lots more money spent on X1/9 bits - from Holland.

Steering column dismantled, shaft cleaned and painted. Bushed removed and checked and all good. However I've found out that you can buy uprated roller bearing ones! So it will come as no surprise to you all that I've decided to get some. smile.png

Spoke to Gav and he's agreed to take the engine and box out of the 166 for me as I really don't have time at the moment. So expect to see a shed of an Alfa in his workshop in a few weeks time.

Made numerous enquiries about engine rebuilds. I really need to be careful as it could spiral quite quickly! Have to speak to a few more places before I decide which way to go.

Leigh, whilst I am terribly envious, you are clearly nuts! I'll be sorry to see the 340R go, though. You've had that as long as I've been around here, though it too has got more and more insane. I do hope everything goes better than I expect with your Stratos. That could easily be more of a money pit than a V8 Esprit project!

Good luck!

I can turn anything into a money pit. The 340R was a 3500 miles spotless example when I bought it. Still spent thousands on it wacko.png

As for the S2 - I dread to think what I've spent.........blush.png

Actually, Leigh, I'm really grateful to you. It's people like you who help me keep on the straight and narrow. You give us a clear vision of the murky quagmire that lies at the bottom of the slippery slope.

Glad to be of help smile.png

• 2 weeks later...

So - today was engine out day. Asked Gav at Unit 4 to do it as he would be much quicker than me doing it myself. I picked him up at the workshop and drove him over to my place collect it.

Before we set off I warned him that I'd not driven the car apart form up and down the street a few weeks back when it was delivered to the house. Also pointed out that the gear change was crap and  Since then I'd started it a few times and kept it idle but nothing else. Ever the optimist he said it would be fine - only a 10 miles trip back to the workshop........

On went the trade plates and off we set, Gav following me. Less than a mile form the house he flashed the headlamps and put the hazards on. Car was running rough as and missing like mad. Poss a sensor issue on the fuel, coil or MAF or something. He disconnected the MAF plug and hoped that would put it into a 'limp' mode so he could drive it gently. Off we go again.

About a mile down the road, same thing again and looked like it was drinking fuel as the gauge had dropped and the fuel light come on. So back on went the MAF plug and off we set again to see how far we could get.

Following Gav, I could see he was trying to keep the car rolling as much as he could. Not using the brakes unless absolutely necessary. Amazingly we made it to the workshop without any other issues - or so I thought.

When we arrived he couldn't get the car into reverse to put it into the workshop. Turned out he'd lost all gears except 3 and 4 on the way over and had had to slip the clutch a lot when he'd slowed or stopped. Clutch was a bit smelly!

I jumped in and tried to get a gear and I couldn't get anything at all, Lever felt like it was disconnected. When we got it into the garage and had a look the cable ball joints were bent at the box end and the box mech was really stiff. More messing revealed that the mech had seized. I wasn't seized when he set of but in the space of 30 mins it had wacko.png

That's what you get for paying £450 for an old Italian car and letting it sit in the garden for weeks I guess!

No matter though as the engine and box will hopefully be out now and are going to be completely stripped and rebuilt. Guess I'll have to check all the sensors and coils etc, too.

But the project is finally officially under way!

I love the man math, Gav couldn't get it in gear, (here, let me try) so I jumped in and couldn't get it in gear.....brilliant :-)

Well done Leigh, lots and lots of photos or I'll likely switch off lol ;-)

Hopefully it's not a sign of things to come Leigh. Make sure you eBay as much of the car as you can, such as trim, wheels, body panels etc. You could make your money back easily, if you can bare the carcass hanging around. Chop the body up with a disc cutter and weigh it in after removing both chassis plates.

Kurt - Hopefully not a bad omen but it's being totally rebuilt and eventyhing is off so can check wiring for any breaks or wearing as well as connectors etc. Can also check the coils and the like. Seems very like an electrical/sensor issue but I guess we'll see.

As you say we'll remove all the IDs and scrap it as general scrap not as a car. Need to keep the V5 for the Lister. Not much demand for bits off the 166s apparently. Other's that have done it have managed to sell the front calipers and sometimes the interiors but not much else. Wheels om mine are shagged. But it does have a sat nav system and I have the security code for it so might get a bit for that.

Jonny - I knew if Gav couldn't get it into gear it was probably buggered. Just wanted to see how bad it was. When I handed over the car it went into to gear with a bit of thought. By the time it arrived at Gav's it was completely buggered! Amazing how it gave up so quick.

By 4:30pm the lump was out. Some pics from Unit 4 - blurry ones are Gavs, he needs a better phone

21809108074_c3c157ebc4_z.jpg

22406124206_2aee8ce9ed_z.jpg

22459774545_014f59cb17.jpg

21838625043_032422b616.jpg

21837075614_2b242f001b.jpg

22446470752_395c2df492.jpg

Archived