Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Nlc - Lister Bell Stratos Build Thread

Dr H

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Went and collected the carpets and seats today. Had the seats done in the period colour for a lot of the original road cars:

25207135888_38471fa228_c.jpg

39042915472_2762d618bb_c.jpg

It's suitably awful but cool in a 70's kind of way thumbsup.gif they look a lot less yellow in the 'flesh' more of a baby sick beige colour!

I got bored on Wednesday so decided to remove the engine lol.gif. Wanted to make a few changes to a couple of bits attached to the chassis that were difficult to get at. Didn't take too long to get out. Now I can do the bits and bobs and know that when the engine goes back in it will stay in!

Well, until I decide to mod it lol.gif

Almost sorted the ITB setup now. Karl has sent me a full set of 3D printed levers. Just need a spring from Jenvey as I seem to be missing one. Order that today. Hope to mock it all up next week and then it's on to bring to make an airbox......tsk.gif

Do I put a light pod on?

At Lister Bell today they have a car with a body like I have ordered but with a 4 light pod on:

25203558158_e6de541b12_c.jpg

Can't decided......

They can be removed but leave holes in the nose of the car where the fixings go. The wires pass through a hole that can be covered with a nose badge. Without the pod they are very 'clean' and look good, but the pod is so 'Stratos'!

• 1 month later...

Not much to report really.

Bee waiting for a bit from Jenvey for the ITBs since before Christmas. arrived the other week. Also worked out another (better) way for driving the ITBs form the DBW actuator.

Postponed the wiring as it was due to go in last week but wasn't ready and I was away snowboarding..

Refitted all my new (exchanged) suspension and added some more heat shields in the engine bay.

39582801212_a78264871d_z.jpg

38904048714_ee06ace1c4_z.jpg

Bought an AC hose crimping tool so I can get the AC hoses finished.

39134612494_fc6bf1b863_z.jpg

28083563659_477b3c5efb_z.jpg

Added more heat shielding to the engine bay (AC Hoses)

39153164324_062a54879a_z.jpg

Pressure tested the fuel and oil hoses I made up and they all seem good.

Will be putting the engine back in on Wed hopefully. But no rush as been told it will be March at the earliest when I can send it to LB for the body fit.....

Oh and I got a number plate from a DVLA auction. Will be registering the car as brand new so can use it - hopefully!

39385364034_9c1ca4c5bc_z.jpg

Emailed DVLA and asked them if this plate (and some others) had ever been issued. They said they hadn't and they will put it in an auction. Took about 8 months for it to go in. Hammer price £130! But total price nearly £300 after fees :angry:

Not a bad plate for a car that is officially a Lister Bell STR.

Did exactly the same with DRH340R - but never got round to putting it on the car :rolleyes: - don't support there are any Dr Hs out there who own a 340R and need a plate? :lol:

Right, got the engine back in again! It was only 2.5 degrees in the garage this morning when I started!

Easier than the first time and managed to get the gearbox engine mount fitted properly this time. I put studs in the box, rather than bolts through the bracket. Miles better as the studs locate in the mount and help to line everything up.

Managed to connect everything back up too. Just a couple of hoses and that's it really.

39237172405_cb751db3cd_c.jpg

On small setback. Removed the starter motor (to get a manifold off after dropping the engine in). and found this wall.gif

39424511004_0172d4969c_c.jpg

Bought 18 months ago but only ever bolted to the engine and not used. Have contacted the place I bought it off as it only has a 12 month warranty. Hope they play ball.

Couple more bits to sort out, fill with fluids, pressure test the coolant system and then off for wiring. Will be coming off the trolley and onto it's wheels for the first time in the next few days D.gif

Have you seen the new Stratos they are building? Only 25 being built, so god knows how much they will be!?!? Think they tried to do it a few years ago and never made it into production but someone with deeeeeeep pockets is funding it.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motor-shows-geneva-motor-show/new-lancia-stratos-enter-limited-production-542bhp-supercar

Yep, that new design has been around for a few years. They have a running car, lots of videos on YouTube. Bet it will cost a fortune. Was based on a Ferrari 430 at the time but I guess it will have to use something different now - more modern / current. May well be bespoke apart form the engine. Wonder who will supply the drive train? Suppose it could feasibly be completely unique but the cost of developing an engine would be insane.

Well it's finally off its build trolley!

Spent yesterday tightening up the suspension and fitting the rear ARB and drop links as well as a few other bits and bobs.

Then had to somehow get it off the trolley. LB told me it's 60/40 weight distribution so the point of balance should be just behind the seats. They said to use slings and an engine crane.....

So, 2 1 tonne slings and a couple of 1.5 tonne karabinas

39494416784_948226f322_c.jpg

Had to extend the crane to it's 1.5 tonne setting to make it long enough. Then slowy raised the car. Very nerve wracking! The car just about balances from this point. Driver's side front wheel was a little low and I didn't fancy hoisting the car any higher than I had to, so put a trolley jack under it to lift it slightly.

The plan was to push the trolley out sideways. But the distance between the wheels was too low and I didn't want to have to hoist it higher. So cue rushing about and removing the front wheel. Once that was off the trolley pushed out.

Then I had my car with just 3 wheels on it hanging about 18 inches above the ground from just a single point.....blink.gif Didn't have time to take a picture unsurprisingly!

Fitted the wheel and dropped it slowly onto the ground. Then rolled it back into the garage and put it on skates.

40172788732_e388c937ea_c.jpg

39494415824_cbb499ae5d_c.jpg

Engine coolant pipes all connected up, exhaust manifolds of to Zirotec tomorrow. Will be testing the coolant system for leaks with one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/o/ASIN/B003BVD5NE/ref=nosim/seloclotusent-21

Puts the system under vacuum and shows any leaks. Then uses the vacuum to draw coolant in and fully fill the system without having to run the engine. Will eliminate any air locks or issues hopefully.

Collected the seat runners on Friday and will be fitting the driver's seat soon.

All the engine stuff is now connected back up. Still working on an air filter / airbox setup. All ITB levers currently being 3D printed in black stainless. Should have them in a week or so.

Engine looking quite good i think thumbsup.gif

40205706261_6838a07282_c.jpg

Archived