litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Oil Change Advice - Running-In To Synthetic ?

@ndy

I'm pretty much done running in my engine and wanted some advise on the next oil change -

• New engine filled with Millers CRO running-in oil, Initial run-in on RR then 480 road miles before 1st oil & filter change
  • New filter fitted and re-filled with Millers CRO again, Another 400 miles completed

So can I now go straight to fully synthetic or is it best to run a semi-synthetic for a few hundred miles and the 1st track day ?

What about the small amount of mineral oil that will be left in the oil cooler, Do I need to get all this out before putting the synthetic in ?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Andy, i dont see a problem in doing a trackday on running in oil if its been changed once. I would not be banging it off the limiter though? I also doubt the racers go to a lot of bother with running in. Dan W swears by running in on the rollers when mapping a new engine?

I expect you will cause more problems by being too gentle.

Mine was run-in on the rollers at Dyno-Tech, I spoke to Kevin about it in detail....  Done +800 miles now with no signs of oil use, Will do another compression test this weekend as the engine has doen nearly 400 since I last checked

Mine was run-in on the rollers at Dyno-Tech, I spoke to Kevin about it in detail....  Done +800 miles now with no signs of oil use, Will do another compression test this weekend as the engine has doen nearly 400 since I last checked

Then are you booking Bedford?......You know you want to!!!LOL!

Mark

Andy this is worth a read :

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Russ.

Cheers Russ, Interesting reading.....

I'm going to throw some semi-synth in and do another 200-300 miles then change to fully synth and go for it, not that Ive been driving it like too soft anyway smile.png

Archived