litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

No. 2 Plug Sooting Up !

@ndy

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Andy, if you get a low reading on no2, i think i have all you need to do a leak down test. Worth doing a cold and warm test?

Will do compression test and see results.... If nothing obvious found I'll give you a shout, Are you around at the weekend ?

Andy, another thought. Have you had the TB,s balanced? Maybe number 2 is letting in a bit less air?

I have thought of this, Do you know who can do this locally ?

Are the injectors all flowing correctly?

Swapped No.2 injector with a spare I have, no difference ?

Andy, im on my weekend shift this weekend. I know DVA has the stuff to balance the TB,s. There must be someone local though. Dan Webster may know someone?

Edit, i think you need one of these? I expect youtube has some instructions? They appear to come with instructions though?

http://www.dellorto.co.uk/shop/car-accessories/inlet-manifolds-pumps-linkage-tools/balancing-tools/synchrometer-airflow-meter-for-dhladcoes/

Not as expensive as i expected.

Andy, im on my weekend shift this weekend. I know DVA has the stuff to balance the TB,s. There must be someone local though. Dan Webster may know someone?

Edit, i think you need one of these? I expect youtube has some instructions? They appear to come with instructions though?

http://www.dellorto.co.uk/shop/car-accessories/inlet-manifolds-pumps-linkage-tools/balancing-tools/synchrometer-airflow-meter-for-dhladcoes/

Not as expensive as i expected.

Andy

I have a carb/TB balancer if you want to borrow it.

Let me know and I'll post it to you.

It's easy enough to use.

Andy

I have a carb/TB balancer if you want to borrow it.

Let me know and I'll post it to you.

It's easy enough to use.

Cheers Alex..... I'll text you my address, Can you pop my tow eye in with it smile.png

Crap video but it gives you an idea.

I know on the Sport 190 the 4 adjusters are a PITA to get at. I expect you are running Titans though?

As you say running Titans so need to find out where the adjusters are ?

So I did a compression test tonight and here are the results -

Cold test         Hot test

#1    180         #1   180

#2    200         #2   190

#3    195         #3   185

#4    200         #4   190

Any thoughts ?

Also forgot to open TB's, not sure what difference this makes ? 

I will do another test tomorrow with the butterflies fully open and post results

Andy, they are all supposed to be within 10%. Looks ok to me? I expect you to just get higher reading with the TB,s open. It should be done with them open.

I'll run the test again tomorrow with TB's fully open and see what I get back, the only strange result is why No.1 doesn't change from cold to hot compared to the others ?

Im quite suprised they have gone down from cold to hot as well? Logic would suggest with forged pistons they would go the other way? Im no expert though. I presumed you pulled the fuel pump fuse before each test?

Might be worth doing a hot test and then squirting a small amount of oil in and repeating the test? Just out of interest    :)

Im quite suprised they have gone down from cold to hot as well? Logic would suggest with forged pistons they would go the other way? Im no expert though. I presumed you pulled the fuel pump fuse before each test?

Might be worth doing a hot test and then squirting a small amount of oil in and repeating the test? Just out of interest    smile.png

Same thoughts here..... Fuel pump fuse was removed along with injector harness to be sure no fuel was present, Will re-test tonight and see what I get !

So after borrowing a syncrometer from Alex B  to check out my TB's I found banks 1&2 to be significantly different than banks 3&4, so managed to get these balanced up today which has made a big difference to the car at tick-over and low revs clap.gif

So the next thing was to re-check the compression but this time with the butterflies on the TB's fully open and I'm happy to say the results are almost perfect -

Cold test         Hot test

#1    210         #1   211

#2    210         #2   212

#3    208         #3   210

#4    212         #4   214

Time to stop worrying and get on driving drive1.gif

Archived