litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Wife's New Car....(Non Engine Content)

Daveb99

After much research and two long test drives, we are introducing a tree hugger to the fleet.

https://www.renault.co.uk/vehicles/new-vehicles/zoe.html

I'm not normally one for buying brand new, nor PCP, but I have to say for the ridiculously cheap outlay of £118 per month inc VAT, nil deposit, and 2.5p per mile for "fuel" (electricity in this case..), we have worked out that we can sell Joanne's 9 year old Volvo, bank the cash, run this for two years, do 9000 miles a year in it (perfect for all our local stuff and ferrying the kids around) and be over £2k better off at the end of it - really. In other words, a brand new car and £1k a year in our pocket. The depreciation and running costs on the Volvo aren't especially high (though being a 1.8 petrol we only get about 30mpg average) - it's just that the deals on these are amazing, as Renault are currently offering £5k dealer contribution on top of the £5k government grant. When you do the maths, with the big savings on fuel too, it really is a no brainer.

They are actually great to drive - same underpinnings as the latest Clio - and of course, totally silent other than a bit of tyre and wind noise. Pretty surreal experience and very relaxing to drive for a small car. Instant 100% torque all the time too.

The built in tech is amazing - regenerative braking, ability to pre-heat or cool the car remotely, and plenty more. Very generous spec too - built in TomTom Nav, Bluetooth, USB & AUX, Parking sensors & camera, Climate, Auto lights & wipers, Cruise control, Curtain airbags, Keyless entry, LED running lights.....all the stuff I never miss when driving the S1 but use all the time in the daily!

If anyone's interested, I can point you in the direction of where I got this deal (we ordered it today). It's valid for another week. And no, I don't work for Renault !

post-5225-0-29513300-1437674853_thumb.jpg

post-5225-0-47888200-1437674876_thumb.jpg

post-5225-0-54444500-1437674902_thumb.jpg

post-5225-0-50350200-1437674915_thumb.jpg

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Martin - about 75 miles in winter and up to 110 in spring/summer/autumn, real world. We never do more than about 60 in one day, so won't be dependent on public charge points (installation of a charge point at home is free). Plus we've got another car too (mine) to do longer trips, holidays, etc.

What have you got then Simon..?

I've got a tesla, had it over a year now, and even as a main car not needed much public charge points.

Worth double checking on the free home install though as OLEV the government body recently changed the rules.

If you get stuck, I know some decent guys on this front.

When the tesla is up for renewal I'll be buying another EV. For commuting and general knocking about it's blistering in a straight line and if you are within range easily more convenient than a petrol car

Cheers Simon, it's definitely a free home install, all part of the Renault 'package'

Would love a Tesla but might struggle with the kids...!

I'd be interested to know which charging cards you've gone for, we have Ecotricity so far, and thinking about Polar as a back up. As I said we'll do 95% of our charging at home but it's always useful to top up if it's convenient I guess.

I still can't believe after all these years of petrol/diesel cars, how much my eyes have been opened by the serenity of an EV! Don't get me wrong, my S1 here to stay, but these things are pretty amazing - definitely the way forward.

Cheers Simon, it's definitely a free home install, all part of the Renault 'package'

I'd be interested to know which charging cards you've gone for, we have Ecotricity so far, and thinking about Polar as a back up. As I said we'll do 95% of our charging at home but it's always useful to top up if it's convenient I guess.

I still can't believe after all these years of petrol/diesel cars, how much my eyes have been opened by the serenity of an EV! Don't get me wrong, my S1 here to stay, but these things are pretty amazing - definitely the way forward.

Sounds awsome Dave ... more polishing i take it :) ( dont tell me you have gone for a black one :)

Sounds awsome Dave ... more polishing i take it :) ( dont tell me you have gone for a black one :)

It won't see much polish this one mate - it's the wife's car! Gone for white, the only colour you don't have to pay extra for......va va voom ;)

Wrong sort of Tesla,  I've got a Model S, so kids would be fine ;) Even comes with 7 seats if you need it !!

I'm looking forward to the next round of cars TBH. Mine's great, fast, quiet, etc.  but it's Merc money for Dacia fit and finish in some ways.

If BMW made something M3 fast, but EV, I'd be in the queue. 

Tesla have just dropped entry price on the base model to £45k, and if I'm honest with all the other perks, if you were looking at a family car in the £35k bracket, esp. as a co. car, it's a decent deal. They need to work on silly stuff like panel gaps and trim fixings, etc.

As for the cards. I have Polar (would highly recommend, as you can use it in lots of car parks) Ecotricity (obviously), and Source London (probably not an issue for you though)

My neighbours had a Zoe for over a year now. He commutes Leicester to Loughborough everyday and charges it for free at work. Well specced and much better looking then the Leaf.

The Leaf is supposed to be a good car, but have to say I think the Zoe is the first all-electric hatch that just looks 'normal' to my eyes!

Stupid name though. It's like the Vauxhall Adam, what's that all about? What's next, the Lotus Eleanor?

That does seem very good.  So seriously, no deposit and £118 a month?  Balloon payment?  Anything else to pay out?  i assume zero tax, no MOT so just insurance?  

Yep - deposit is £200 but refunded on delivery, so it is zero in reality. £99 finance fee with the first payment, then £118 per month all in for 24 months.   No tax, no MOT, just £80 for an annual service (I reckon it will only need one in the 2 years).

It is PCP so there's a balloon payment but I have no intention of buying it after the 2 years is up - I'm assuming the tech will have moved on a fair bit so will be better off getting an updated one, assuming we want another one that is.

At £118 per month, plus only 2.5p per mile for 'fuel', it's far cheaper than the depreciation, running costs and fuel on pretty much any other mainstream car, certainly at 9000 miles per year.    A diesel giving 45mpg overall is still about 12p per mile.    When you multiply it out, the fuel savings are pretty darned good alone.    Even if you ignore depreciation (which is probably £80-100 a month on most mainstream cars that are a few years old, more on some) then it's cheaper too, unless you have something newish, with very low road tax, ultra-economical (and you drive like an old granny) - and even then you're probably still paying for it, or have used up capital to do so, and it is of course depreciating too...

I really don't usually go for PCP.   Never done it before.    But the way I look at it, it's a brand new car, replacing a 9 year old Volvo, and money in the bank as well.....always useful when you have a house to do up, young kids, holiday etc.   Just done another bit of working out and if we kept the Volvo and did 9k in the next year in it, it will cost over £3k including depreciation and fuel for the year.   The Renault costs £1800 including electricity for 9k miles.   £1200 saving....per year.

Of course they only really work if you have another car to do your long runs etc in.   Perfect for our needs and usage (50 mile commute a couple of times a week, lots of shorter journeys ferrying the kids around most days, shopping trips etc etc), but may not work for some.

Where did you get this deal Dave?  The £5k dealer deposit contribution and the £5k government grant?  Any details on that?  

Where did you get this deal Dave?  The £5k dealer deposit contribution and the £5k government grant?  Any details on that?  

The dealer offering the deal is Greenhouse Renault in Shrewsbury - ask for Serge Capellas in sales.   It is even cheaper for 7500 miles per year, just £106 per month all in.

Government grant (Plugged in Car Grant) is about £5k, plus Renault contribution of almost £7k, takes a total of just under £12k off the on the road price of £20k.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/plug-in-car-grant

The PiCG is all done automatically, it just lowers the price of the car quite simply.

The monthly PCP cost is made up of the battery hire cost (£87 per month in our case) and the car (£31).

So we are paying £118 per month, for a brand new highly specced car, 4 year warranty (we will give it back after two), 4 years Renault Assistance 24*7, and the ability to do 9000 of our 13000 miles per year total mileage at 2.5 pence per mile.   So for every 1000 miles we are saving about £100 (when compared to a 45mpg diesel).

The total cost per month including 'fuel' (electricity of course) of approx £135 is substantially cheaper than keeping and running our 9 year old Volvo when you factor in the often-forgotten depreciation - and still a lot cheaper than most other (used) mainstream cars - not to mention brand new ones.

We see it as a no brainer - which I think it is providing you like the car, and you don't do more than about 70 miles a day in winter, or 100 in summer (though at 3 hours per charge at home, or 1 hour at public charge points, you can of course go a lot further!).

I have of course still got our company Audi for the long journey / holiday stuff - this is just the every day runabout that will munch up all of the 'ferrying the kids around' mileage, plus a bit of commuting, all the shopping etc etc. 

Hope this helps - some further links if you are interested:

Renault website (good info on here):

https://www.renault.co.uk/vehicles/new-vehicles/zoe.html

Latest brochure:

https://www.cdn.renault.com/content/dam/Renault/UK/brand-and-editorial/Brochures/Vehicles/zoe.pdf

Feel free to send me a message if you want any more info..

One last thing - you'd better be quick - Serge told me that they were doing the deal until the end of the month (though he might extend it) smile.png

Archived